Overview of AJWS
American Jewish World Service (AJWS) is the leading Jewish organization working to fight poverty and pursue justice in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean. By supporting hundreds of social change organizations in 17 countries, we respond to the most pressing issues of our time—from disasters, genocide and hunger, to the persecution of women and minorities worldwide. With Jewish values and a global reach, AJWS is making a difference in millions of lives and bringing a more just and equitable world closer for all.
Overview of Team
The Development Division at AJWS is responsible for raising the revenue that supports AJWS’s grantmaking and advocacy. The Division includes the following departments: Institutional Giving, Major Gifts, Development Operations and Donor Engagement. Members of the Division partner closely with the Communications and Marketing, Programs, Finance and Administration and People and Culture teams, as well as the Executive Office and Board of Trustees, instilling a culture of philanthropy across the organization. The Division is responsible for cultivating, stewarding and soliciting donors, building a deep connection and commitment to our work for our supporters.
The Institutional Giving team in the Development Division is responsible for raising approximately $16 million each year and monitoring grants from professional foundations, governments, corporations and select family foundations.
Reporting to the Associate Director of Institutional Giving, the Senior Development Officer is an integral member of the five-person team and is responsible for raising funds from institutional donors with a strong focus on government, multilateral and international funding sources. They are also responsible for managing restricted grants from institutional donors, which can include assisting in project design, budget management, monitoring deliverables, identifying risks and managing relationships between internal and external partners.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Establish and build relationships with new and existing institutional funders to acquire and sustain long-term funding partnerships through correspondence, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship;
- Manage a portfolio of current and potential institutional funders, which may include domestic or international travel for in-person meetings, as needed;
- Manage the proposal and reporting processes of high-level institutional donors, which includes writing dynamic and thoughtful proposals and reports, working with finance and programs to draft budgets and financial reports, and coordinating deliverables across departments;
- Coordinate and lead inter-departmental processes to secure and manage complex restricted grants, including government grants, and ensure compliance with donor requirements.
- Identify and research prospective institutional funders, present well-reasoned recommendations for engaging (or not engaging) prospective funders;
- Work in collaboration with staff across the organization to strategize around prospective funding and pitch new and ongoing programs to funders through proposals, presentations and other written materials;
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of all AJWS programs and strategic learning, research and evaluation projects.
- Bachelor’s degree required, with a minimum of 3 years of experience in related field;
- Proven experience in writing successful, high quality grant proposals;
- Background in soliciting and managing complex restricted grants, including from government funders;
- Familiarity with preparing budgets and financial reports;
- Ability to meet deadlines, work under pressure, prioritize, and handle multiple, complex projects;
- Self-motivated with strong writing and communication, relationship building, project management, and research skills;
- Strong research capacity and ability to interpret, analyze, and represent complex international human rights issues in donor-friendly language;
- Ability to travel internationally and nationally;
- Strong commitment to the mission of AJWS;
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office programs.
- Familiarity with SalesForce-based programs;
- Working knowledge of French or Spanish a plus;
- Knowledge of American Jewish community a plus;
- Knowledge of the economic, political and social issues facing countries in the Global South a plus.
- Applications must be submitted with the following to be considered: Cover letter, Resume, and at least two writing samples at least one which is persuasive.
- Salary Range: $77,000-$100,250
- This role is full time (40 HRS), Exempt
- This is a union position
Remote – Contiguous US-based
*This role is flexible in nature and can be performed from a home office in the contiguous United States.
Compensation and Benefits Information
- AJWS is committed to a salary framework that aligns with our culture and values. The compensation range reflected is in alignment with our framework and individual pay decisions will vary based on skills and experience while still allowing for growth.
- Paid Time Off: 15-22 Federal and religious holidays off each year in addition to generous vacation and sick days;
- Full health benefits coverage with minimal contribution by employees;
- 403(b): 4.25% company match (safe harbor);
- Flexible Spending Account and Commuter Benefits;
- Workplace flexibility and generous leave policy.
Black, Indigenous and People of Color; Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Intersex, Trans and Gender non-conforming people; women; and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. We also encourage applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual and cultural backgrounds.
As an organization committed to promoting social justice around the world, it is essential that we incorporate a diverse, equitable and inclusive lens into all aspects of our work at AJWS. We encourage applicants with a global perspective and a commitment to values around diversity, equity, and inclusion to apply.
Authorization to work in the US is required.
How to Apply
For immediate consideration, apply below. Applications submitted without a resume and personalized cover letter will not be considered. We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with AJWS. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.