Legislation in the U.S., Changing Lives around the World
Promoting Human Rights through U.S. Government Advocacy
In 18 countries across Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, AJWS supports more than 500 grassroots organizations in their work to build a more just world—by changing laws and changing lives. In the U.S., we amplify the voices of these activists through advocacy initiatives to influence the U.S. government, because we know that U.S. foreign policy has a significant and direct impact on the work of the organizations and communities we support around the world.
Our advocacy work comes in many forms:
- Amplifying the voices of those fighting for justice around the world by bringing our grantees to meet with policymakers in Washington, D.C.
- Mobilizing the progressive American Jewish community, including hundreds of Jewish leaders, to speak out to Congress and federal agencies
- Launching online actions and petitions
- Working in coalitions with faith-based and secular human rights groups
And our U.S. advocacy work is reciprocal: the AJWS team in D.C. work closely with our elected officials and policymakers in the U.S. Congress and Executive Branch to champion legislation and regulations that advance justice, equity and human rights in those 18 countries and beyond. And government officials and legislators turn to AJWS for the local expertise of our grantee organizations and international staff, who ensure that these policies center human rights and the needs of marginalized communities.
Are you ready to take action with AJWS today?
We can’t make change without you. Advocating for foreign policy that supports the human rights of the most marginalized people takes every one of us, raising our voices together.
Let us know what you stand for—take action with AJWS today! Here’s how you can make a create change right now:
AJWS’s U.S. Policy Priorities
AJWS’s Advocacy Team champions foreign policy that supports the human rights of marginalized people around the world. Whether we’re fighting for reproductive rights or urging our government to hold authoritarians accountable for their crimes, our advocacy efforts always support policies and legislation that will:
- Prioritize U.S. foreign policy that puts human rights at its center, and rebuild a foundation of human rights-focused policy following last administration.
- Ensure access to comprehensive sexual and reproductive health and rights for all people worldwide.
- Champion legislation that focuses on climate justice and protects the environment to slow the effects of climate change.
- Promote democracy and insist that governments around the world be held accountable for human rights abuses.
- Strengthen a robust international response to COVID-19 that supports the most marginalized communities around the world who have been hit hardest.
To learn more about AJWS’s current U.S. advocacy policy priorities—and the legislation we are advocating for right now—click below.
Want to learn more about our advocacy work? Email us at email@example.com with questions or comments.