The AJWS Tier 1 team is seeking a development intern with strong interest in the not-for-profit sector, particularly in human rights or international development, to assist in all aspects of fundraising. The intern will report to Development Officers in both Los Angeles and Chicago, and will work on projects to build AJWS presence in its regional cities. This position requires individuals who are self-starters, organized, and able to work effectively as part of a small team of remote colleagues with a variety of constituents, including staff, board members, and donors.
The Intern will gain the following skills:
- for a budding human rights activist to gain experience in and familiarity with areas such as fundraising, philanthropy, and the day-to-day operations of a nonprofit organization with a global reach.
- To be mentored by development associates and officers
- To learn a wide range of skills — including database management, research, donor prospecting, and effective donor communication — carried out by a nonprofit development department.
- Build relationships with professionals working in nonprofit development and programs
- Learn strategy through departmental and staff meetings
- Help identify new partnership opportunities for the Tier 1 team
- Foundation and donor prospect research
- Supporting Tier 1 team on a variety of special event projects including donor book clubs and film screenings
- Assisting with database management (training on Raiser’s Edge provided)
- Social media management and assisting with donor communication
- Experience conducting research and analysis
- Ability to work both independently and part of a multi-city team depending on the project
- Excellent written and inter-personal skills
- Flexibility and a willingness to take on varied tasks with different Tier 1 team members
- Passion for global social justice
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office