Overview of AJWS:
American Jewish World Service (AJWS) is the leading Jewish organization working to pursue justice and fight poverty in the developing world. By supporting hundreds of social change organizations in 19 countries, we respond to the most pressing issues of our time—from disasters, genocide and hunger, to the persecution of women and minorities worldwide. With Jewish values and a global reach, AJWS is making a difference in millions of lives and bringing a more just and equitable world closer for all.
AJWS is seeking a dynamic and experienced development professional to join AJWS’s NY major gifts team. Reporting to the Director of Major Gifts, the Senior Major Gifts Officer is responsible for overseeing a portfolio of high-level individual donors and prospects and helping to raise approximately $1.5 million (of a $20 million annual organizational fundraising goal) while representing AJWS to external audiences. The Senior Major Gifts Officer will work closely with the Director of Major Gifts and the major gifts team to expand and diversify the donor base and ramp up efforts to generate new gifts from individuals. The Senior Major Gifts Officer will be essential in executing an enhanced major gifts program at AJWS, stewarding a pipeline of individual donors at the $10,000 level and higher.
Responsibilities Include, but not limited to:
- Manage a portfolio of high-level individual donors and prospects;
- Develop clear short-term and long-range plans for the portfolio that are both realistic and challenging;
- Successfully identify prospects, funding opportunities, and strategies that will help achieve annual and longer-term development goals;
- Analyze fundraising results against projections and ensure timely and accurate reporting to internal and external constituencies;
- Speak and write articulately about American Jewish World Service, its mission, policies, culture, values, history, key stakeholders, programs, and finances;
- Stay abreast of philanthropic, economic, social, and community trends related to American Jewish World Service and share relevant information with colleagues;
- Establish trust, maintain strong relationships, and develop partnerships with all AJWS stakeholders;
- Support VP in select board and CEO fundraising assignments; and
- Collaborate with divisional colleagues on events, steward activities, and database reports.
- Minimum of 5 years of successful major gifts experience or related experience within complex and dynamic mission-driven non-profit organizations;
- Bachelor’s degree is required; advanced degree and record of continuing professional development is preferred;
- Demonstrated success securing major gifts from individuals;
- Demonstration of sophisticated, collaborative, and strategic approach to major gift fundraising and experience with face-to-face major gift solicitations;
- Demonstrated achievement identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding high-net-worth individuals;
- Understanding of fundraising for human rights or international causes;
- Significant experience maintaining strong relationships internally and externally;
- Proven ability to conceptualize and describe funding needs in a way that is compelling;
- Experience with planned giving and fundraising campaigns, a plus;
- Experience working effectively and respectfully with members of the senior leadership team, including the President as well as board members and other high-level donors; and
- Passion for and commitment to AJWS’s mission and values.
People of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, intersex, trans and gender non-conforming people; women; and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. We also encourage applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual and cultural backgrounds.
Authorization to work in the US is required.
How to Apply
For immediate consideration please apply below.
Applications submitted without a personalized cover letter will not be considered.