Overview of AJWS
American Jewish World Service (AJWS) is the leading Jewish organization working to promote human rights and end poverty in the developing world. AJWS advances the health and rights of women, girls and LGBTQI+ people; promotes civil and political rights; defends access to food, land and water; and aids communities in the aftermath of disasters. We pursue lasting change by investing approximately $40 million annually in our grantmaking and social change strategies. We support to more than 500 grassroots and global human rights organizations in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean and by mobilizing mobilize our community in the U.S. to advocate for global justice. Working together, we strive to build a more just and equitable world.
The Senior Financial Analyst position plays a significant role in the finance team’s accounting, financial analysis and business decision support. The position reports to the Director of Finance and is responsible for management cost accounting, variance analysis and financial reporting, period-end financial closings, preparation of annual budget and periodic forecasts and operational improvement projects.
Primary responsibilities of the Senior Financial Analyst will include but not be limited to:
- Decision support – Provide analysis for decision making processes. Identify key drivers and develop appropriate analysis and reporting, including financial modeling of operating costs and revenues to influence decision making.
- Financial Analysis – Provide evaluation and analysis of actual results versus budget/forecast of elements of profitability and variances. Develop, maintain and present standard monthly reports (written and verbal) on business performance to internal stakeholders. Prepare monthly financial status reports for distribution to the board.
- Budgeting and Planning – Actively participate in business plan and forecasting processes, as well as evaluation of operating fixed and variable costs. Steward, build relationships and partner with other departments to evaluate and analyze business plans and forecasts against strategic and operation improvement initiatives.
- Collaborate with partners in other departments to develop proposals, prepare interim and final donor reports and internal expenditure reports
- Flexible budgeting – Partner with other departments and teams to reconcile restricted budgets. Track changes through the fiscal year from budgeting changes due to budget movements and new revenue and releases.
- Asset capitalization – Provide analysis related to capitalization of assets. Manage and maintain the Fixed Asset module.
- Scenario planning – Identify, evaluate and communicate risks and opportunities in achieving goals with each plan.
- Accounting – Perform monthly accounting and period-end closing functions and activities, account reconciliations and reporting. Maintain and manage balance sheet account schedules and assess restricted releases and interfund transfers.
- Assist with preparation of the Monthly Performance Dashboard, Board presentations, Quarterly Performance Reports, and other reports as requested
- Periodic model maintenance and data integration associated with the financial and budget models that form the backbone of AJWS’ s forecasting and reporting tools,
- Perform review of contract drafts for legality and compliance, track and maintain contract balances with continuous conversations with project managers and monitoring of available funds.
- Controls – Responsible for maintaining documentation and ensuring compliance with internal controls over financial reporting and accounting and business processes.
- Process improvement – Identify opportunities and develop recommendations for continuous process and systems improvements.
- Other activities – Assists with various ad hoc project work, reporting and other tasks as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance, advanced degree a plus
- 5+ years relevant experience; preferably in non for profit environment,
- Strong research, analytical and critical thinking skills, detail oriented
- Effective communication skills (written & verbal)
- Ability to manage competing priorities
- Ability to work effectively in team environment and independently
- Solid computer skills, including Microsoft office suite of products
- Knowledge of accounting systems (Abila MIP preferred)
Compensation and Benefits Information:
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience and the market;
- Paid Time Off: 15-21 Federal and religious holidays off each year in addition to generous vacation and sick days;
- Full health benefits coverage with minimal contribution by employees;
- 403(b): 4% company match (safe harbor);
- Flexible Spending Account and Commuter Benefits;
- Workplace flexibility and generous leave policy.
Black, Indigenous and People of Color; Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Intersex, Trans and Gender non-conforming people; women; and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. We also encourage applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual and cultural backgrounds.
As an organization committed to promoting social justice around the world, it is essential that we incorporate a diverse, equitable and inclusive lens into all aspects of our work at AJWS. We encourage applicants with a global perspective and a commitment to values around diversity, equity, and inclusion to apply.
Authorization to work in the US is required.
How to Apply
For immediate consideration, apply below.
Applications submitted without a resume and personalized cover letter will not be considered.