Overview of AJWS
American Jewish World Service (AJWS) is the leading Jewish organization working to pursue justice and fight poverty in the developing world. By supporting hundreds of social change organizations in 19 countries, we respond to the most pressing issues of our time—from disasters, genocide and hunger, to the persecution of women and minorities worldwide. With Jewish values and a global reach, AJWS is making a difference in millions of lives and bringing a more just and equitable world closer for all.
AJWS’s Los Angeles office is responsible for overseeing and implementing the vision of AJWS in Los Angeles and Southern California. The scope of responsibilities includes raising funds in this region, maintaining relationships with key donors and stakeholders, and effectively articulating AJWS’s global purpose and impact.
AJWS seeks a Regional Director for Los Angeles and Southern California to expand and grow our major gifts portfolio in the area. The Director will design and implement strategies to broaden the cultivation of current and prospective major donors in Los Angeles and Southern California, with particular emphasis on generating larger gifts, expanding the capacity of existing donors, and building a pipeline of new donors.
The Director will:
- Partner with the Vice President for Development and other members of the Development leadership team to lead AJWS’s fundraising efforts in Los Angeles and Southern California;
- Strengthen existing donor relationships and steward and solicit a portfolio of major donors, including individuals, family foundations, professional foundations, and corporations;
- Develop, cultivate and retain a portfolio of new AJWS major gift supporters;
- Conduct research on prospective donors and work with the Development team on information management;
- Establish trust, maintain strong relationships and develop partnerships with board members and donors;
- Speak and write articulately about AJWS’s its mission and programs;
- Stay abreast of philanthropic, economic, social, and community trends related to American Jewish World Service;
- Supervise other members of the LA Office.
- A Bachelor’s Degree is required; advanced degree or equivalent record of continuing professional development preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years of non-profit or equivalent experience with a progressively increasing degree of management and fiscal responsibility;
- Demonstrated successful track record as a major gifts fundraiser;
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills;
- Strong knowledge of the Los Angeles Jewish, progressive and international human rights communal landscapes;
- Ability to build and maintain strong personal one-on-one and institutional relationships;
- High degree of flexibility in order to achieve organizational objectives;
- Excellent judgment, an ability to exercise discretion and tact in difficult or confidential situations and an ability to project a positive, professional image to the public;
- Exceptional analytical, strategic planning, and research skills;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate articulately and interact comfortably with high-net-worth individuals and groups;
- The capacity to build and maintain strong relationships with constituents of varied backgrounds, including AJWS’s Jewish constituency;
- Superior ability to communicate effectively and concisely in English (both in writing and orally);
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to solve problems, work independently, and excel in a high-performance culture; and
- The ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally as necessary.
People of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, intersex, trans and gender non-conforming people; women; and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. We also encourage applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual and cultural backgrounds.
Authorization to work in the US is required.
How to Apply:
For immediate consideration, apply below.
Applications submitted without a resume and personalized cover letter will not be considered. Please put your name in the title of both documents.