Overview of AJWS
American Jewish World Service (AJWS) is the leading Jewish organization working to fight poverty and pursue justice in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Caribbean. By supporting hundreds of social change organizations in 17 countries, we respond to the most pressing issues of our time—from disasters, genocide and hunger, to the persecution of women and minorities worldwide. With Jewish values and a global reach, AJWS is making a difference in millions of lives and bringing a more just and equitable world closer for all.
Overview of Team
AJWS has an exciting opportunity for a dynamic, motivated, thoughtful and organized individual to contribute to the People & Culture division. The division is responsible for driving key objectives related to transforming organizational culture, systems, and processes to ensure that they are best in class. The People & Culture division is responsible for strategic human resources partnerships, recruitment, payroll and benefits, labor and employee relations and fosters a culture of care, accountability, and honesty so that AJWS’s staff can thrive in a supportive and inclusive environment.
The People & Culture Operations Lead (“Operations Lead”) will support with fostering and stewarding a people-focused progressive human resources operations approach with a generalist lens, that nurtures a positive, productive values-aligned organizational culture for all staff. The Operations Lead is responsible for managing a variety of key Human Resources operations and generalist functions and initiatives and, will play a critical role in the strategic operations development and execution of AJWS’s organizational development strategies.
The Operations Lead will assist with supporting policy development, while simultaneously ensuring adherence to all regulatory compliance. The Operations Lead will also serve as administrative support with a myriad of human resources generalist functions, specifically as it relates to personnel record keeping, talent acquisition, leaves management, and payroll and benefits administration. The Operations Lead must be skilled at addressing issues in a confident and equitable manner with a strong ability to develop and implement solutions designed to strengthen employment relationships, support organizational goals and meet regulatory requirements. The ideal candidate is someone who can serve as a thought partner to all members of the People and Culture division, is people focused, centered and driven, has excellent communication skills, a strong ability to provide support throughout the division.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide operational and generalist administrative support to all members of the People and Culture division.
- Support human resources processes such as personnel record management, talent acquisition, leaves of absence, and payroll and benefit administration to ensure development and performance in compliance with all federal, state and local labor laws, organizational policies, standards and procedures.
- Support with monthly/quarterly HR audits for data and metrics relative to each AJWS division to identify trends or concerns as needed; review data for integrity.
- Provide operational support to ensure local, state and federal regulatory and labor law compliance across the organization.
- Support the development and delivery of divisional training development programs with People & Culture Business Partners and cross functional colleagues to foster an inclusive environment and facilitate growth opportunities within the organization.
- Responsible for supporting the Performance Management Process from conception to completion, inclusive of capturing data, creating reports, assisting with survey implementation and maintenance, as well as other related administrative tasks.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or Business Administration with a minor/focus in human resources.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience within the Human Resources, with a keen focus on operations and generalist functions.
- Commitment to AJWS’s mission and core values.
- Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
- High level of experience with data management/reporting and human resources administrative operations.
- Knowledge of talent acquisition processes, payroll, benefits, and leaves management.
- Thorough knowledge of human resources compliance protocols, as well as local, state and federal labor and employment laws
- Strong project management skills and the ability to take a project from conception to completion.
- Team player with an ability to work independently as required, meet task deadlines, and multi-task while maintaining quality performance standards.
- Proven experience and high level of comfort working within HRIS systems.
- Strong Microsoft 365 skills, particularly Microsoft Excel for purposes of capturing and reporting data.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to travel to the NYHQ office on short notice; up to and including, same day arrival.
- Experience in Non-Profit arena.
- Experience in a Global Humanitarian Organization.
- International/Global Human Resources experience.
- Salary: $77,000-$92,500
- Location: Remote – US-based, location-specific (New York metro area)
**This role is flexible in nature, having some responsibilities that can be performed virtually from a home office and some responsibilities that must be performed in person at AJWS Global Headquarters.
- This role is full time (40 HRS), Exempt
Compensation and Benefits Information
- AJWS is committed to a salary framework that aligns with our culture and values. The compensation range reflected is in alignment with our framework and individual pay decisions will vary based on skills and experience while still allowing for growth.
- Paid Time Off: 15-22 Federal and religious holidays off each year in addition to generous vacation and sick days;
- Full health benefits coverage with minimal contribution by employees;
- 403(b): 4.25% company match (safe harbor);
- Flexible Spending Account and Commuter Benefits;
- Workplace flexibility and generous leave policy.
Black, Indigenous and People of Color; Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Intersex, Trans and Gender non-conforming people; women; and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. We also encourage applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual and cultural backgrounds.
As an organization committed to promoting social justice around the world, it is essential that we incorporate a diverse, equitable and inclusive lens into all aspects of our work at AJWS. We encourage applicants with a global perspective and a commitment to values around diversity, equity, and inclusion to apply.
Authorization to work in the US is required.
How to Apply
For immediate consideration, apply below. Applications submitted without a resume and personalized cover letter will not be considered. We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with AJWS. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.