The Communications Media Intern will help with the daily work of the division, focusing on both short-and long-term projects across the media relations team. Responsibilities include supporting our media outreach work by: providing a daily news brief for the entire organization; compiling a list of reporters, editors and producers in important markets and in regions of current and our Global Justice Fellows; contacting editors at women’s magazines and philanthropy/grantmaking journals and websites; reaching out personally to key journalists; etc.
The Intern will learn:
- Writing accurately, on deadline
- Reporting and researching news releases
- Pitching stories to the news media and podcasters
- Working with reporters and producers
- Editing op-eds and commentaries
- Also: We try to make a field trip to a newsroom in NYC
- Researching reporters and producers for pitches
- Compiling a daily news brief
- Reaching out to journalists
- Researching news stories
- Editing opinion pieces
- Other duties that arise
- Media and public relations skills;
- Strong written and verbal communications skills;
- Experience with researching news stories, proofreading and/or fact checking;
- Experience with digital and social media;
- Bilingual is a plus;
- Strong interest in non-profit work, communications and/or international human rights; and
- Must be at least a sophomore in a college or university.
How to Apply:
This is a paid 8-week program, beginning June 22nd and concluding August 14th. It is designed for students who have completed at least one year at a college or university. Students interested in pursuing a summer internship at AJWS should submit a resume and application via email to email@example.com with the name(s) of the internship(s) in the subject line.
Driven by Jewish and human rights values, AJWS prioritizes and celebrates diversity. People of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, intersex, trans and gender non-conforming people; women; and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. We also encourage applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual and cultural backgrounds.
Application submission deadline is March 6, 2020.