Overview of AJWS
American Jewish World Service (AJWS) is the leading Jewish organization working to fight poverty and pursue justice in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean. By supporting hundreds of social change organizations in 18 countries, we respond to the most pressing issues of our time—from disasters, genocide and hunger, to the persecution of women and minorities worldwide. With Jewish values and a global reach, AJWS is making a difference in millions of lives and bringing a more just and equitable world closer for all.
The Marketing and Communications Associate will join a dynamic team of writers, editors and content producers who grow and cultivate AJWS’s community of supporters through social media, fundraising and ad campaigns, publications, blogs, videos and other stories of our work and impact. This is a junior role with opportunities for growth that is critical in supporting the Content and Storytelling team. The Associate will contribute to AJWS’s social media and marketing by responding to and engaging with AJWS’s social media audiences, writing and editing personalized content, assisting with our cross-channel communications calendar, drawing upon analytics to measure the effectiveness of our social media, and contributing to our database of stories that portray AJWS’s impact in the developing world. This position provides an excellent opportunity to make an impact while learning more about human rights work, Jewish social justice values and communications functions from AJWS’s issue experts and lead content writers.
- Act as a social media community manager by responding thoughtfully to comments and questions on AJWS’s social media channels and proactively engaging on social media with peer organizations, grantees, lawmakers and supporters.
- Create content and engagement strategies for AJWS’s Instagram account with direction from the Associate Director for Online Engagement.
- Write, edit and proofread content for various organizational needs, including event invitations, social media posts, webpages, blogs, publications, marketing emails, donor letters, speaker remarks and more.
- Maintain a calendar of AJWS’s digital communications content.
- Run reports and keep tabs on AJWS’s social media metrics.
- Upload, tag and archive content to the AJWS Story Bank—a digital database of stories, photos and other content demonstrating our impact.
- Participate in departmental and divisional meetings by sharing insight about improving AJWS’s content and its distribution.
- Higher education or training with an emphasis on communications or marketing
- At least 1-3 years of direct experience working on social media and/or marketing writing in a professional setting
- Exceptional writing skills, meticulous copy editing and proofreading ability and a passion for excellence in a final written product
- An understanding of social media platforms—especially Facebook, Twitter and Instagram—and experience successfully engaging online communities
- Archival skills—ability to remain detail-oriented while managing a large content database
- Adept at conveying complex ideas in clear, compelling, motivational language
- Familiar with audience segmentation and able to tailor communications to specific audiences
- Comfort with working in a fast-paced environment with competing deadlines
- A strong interest in digital communications trends and best practices
- Team player and collaborator
- Commitment to human rights and social justice, and enthusiasm for learning more about these issues
- Familiarity with progressive Jewish culture and organizational landscape
Black, Indigenous and People of Color; Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Intersex, Trans and Gender non-conforming people; women; and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. We also encourage applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual and cultural backgrounds.
As an organization committed to promoting social justice around the world, it is essential that we incorporate a diverse, equitable and inclusive lens into all aspects of our work at AJWS. We encourage applicants with a global perspective and a commitment to values around diversity, equity, and inclusion to apply.
Authorization to work in the US is required.
How to Apply:
For immediate consideration, click on the link to apply below.
Applications must be submitted with the following to be considered:
- Cover letter
- Three unedited writing samples that show a range of skill, including social media content, blogs or marketing emails.