Overview of AJWS
American Jewish World Service (AJWS) is the leading Jewish organization working to fight poverty and pursue justice in the developing world. By supporting hundreds of social change organizations in 19 countries, we respond to the most pressing issues of our time—from disasters, genocide and hunger, to the persecution of women and minorities worldwide. With Jewish values and a global reach, AJWS is making a difference in millions of lives and bringing a more just and equitable world closer for all.
The Marketing and Communications Associate will join a dynamic team of writers, editors and content producers who grow and cultivate AJWS’s community of supporters through social media, fundraising and ad campaigns, publications, blogs, videos and other stories of our work and impact. This is a junior role with growth potential that is critical in supporting the Content and Storytelling team. The Associate will contribute to AJWS’s social media and marketing by writing and editing personalized content, assisting with our cross-channel communications calendar, drawing upon analytics to measure the effectiveness of our social media, and contributing to our database of stories that portray AJWS’s impact in the developing world. This position provides an excellent opportunity to make an impact while learning more about human rights work, Jewish social justice values and communications functions from AJWS’s issue experts and lead content writers. This is a temporary role with the potential to eventually join the team for a longer term. This is also a non-exempt position.
- Act as a social media community manager by responding thoughtfully to comments and questions on AJWS’s social media channels and proactively engaging on social media with peer organizations, grantees and supporters.
- Contribute to the writing and editing of customized email campaigns by working closely with our staff and an external firm and tailoring messaging to supporters’ interests, giving level and other factors.
- Write, edit and proofread content for various organizational needs, including event invitations, webpages, donor letters, speaker remarks, and more.
- Update a calendar of AJWS’s digital communications content.
- Run reports and keep tabs on AJWS’s social media metrics.
- Upload, tag and archive content to the AJWS Story Bank—a digital database of stories, photos and other content demonstrating our impact.
- Participate in departmental and divisional meetings by sharing insight about improving AJWS’s content and its distribution.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 1-2 years of direct experience working on social media and/or marketing writing in a professional setting
- Exceptional writing skills, meticulous copy editing and proofreading ability and a passion for excellence in a final written product
- An understanding of social media platforms—especially Facebook, Twitter and Instagram—and experience successfully engaging online communities
- Adept at conveying complex ideas in clear, compelling, motivational language
- Familiar with audience segmentation and able to tailor communications to specific audiences
- Comfort with working in a fast-paced environment with competing deadlines
- A strong interest in digital communications trends and best practices
- Team player and collaborator
- Commitment to human rights and social justice, and enthusiasm for learning more about these issues
- Degree with an emphasis on communications or marketing a plus
- Familiarity with progressive Jewish culture and organizational landscape a plus
People of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, intersex, trans and gender non-conforming people; women; and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. We also encourage applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual, intellectual and cultural backgrounds.
Authorization to work in the US is required.
How to Apply:
For immediate consideration, click on the link to apply below.
Applications must be submitted with the following to be considered:
- Cover letter
- Three writing samples, preferably marketing emails and social media content.