The AJWS Major Gifts team is seeking a development intern with strong interest in the not-for-profit sector, particularly in human rights or international development, to assist in all aspects of fundraising. The intern will report to the Development Associate, and will work on projects collaborating with every department within the division. This position require individuals who are highly motivated, organized, and able to work effectively with a variety of constituents, including staff, board members, and donors.
The Intern will gain the following skills:
- For a budding human rights activist to gain experience in and familiarity with areas such as fundraising, philanthropy, and the day-to-day operations of a nonprofit organization with a global reach.
- To be mentored by development associates and officers
- To learn a wide range skills, including database management, research, donor prospecting, effective donor communication, carried out by a nonprofit development department.
- Build relationships with professionals working in nonprofit development and programs
- Learn strategy through departmental and staff meetings
- Help to identify new partnership opportunities for the major gifts program
- Donor and prospect research
- Assisting with donor communication, including phone calls, thank you letters, and appeal letters
- Supporting Major gifts team on a variety of projects including special event preparation
- Assisting with database management (training on Raiser’s Edge provided)
- Eager to learn
- Ability to work both independently and part of a team depending on the project
- Excellent written and inter-personal skills
- Flexibility and a willingness to take on varied tasks with different Major Gifts team members
- Passion for global social justice
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office