Overview of AJWS
American Jewish World Service (AJWS) is the leading Jewish organization working to fight poverty and pursue justice in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean. By supporting hundreds of social change organizations in 18 countries, we respond to the most pressing issues of our time—from disasters, genocide and hunger, to the persecution of women and minorities worldwide. With Jewish values and a global reach, AJWS is making a difference in millions of lives and bringing a more just and equitable world closer for all.
Overview of Department
The creative department within the AJWS communications and marketing division shapes and manages the visual representation of the organization and the application of the AJWS brand in a range of visual collateral in all media. These visual manifestations of the AJWS brand appear in all AJWS materials, including printed publications, web design, social media assets, video, advertising, email messaging, event signage, and internal business collateral such as branded stationery and staff communications templates. The department provides graphic and visual services to the organization for both external constituencies and internal audiences. Additionally, the creative department manages a photography archive documenting our programmatic work. The department manages relationships with print vendors, photographers, videographers and other creative consultants. The department consists of two graphic designers who produce materials under the supervision of the creative director, and in consultation with Communications colleagues and the Vice President for Communications and Marketing.
The Junior Graphic Designer (part time) is responsible for supporting the Creative Dept., for designing and contributing to a variety of projects to support an ambitious national communications and marketing program, and for helping to maintain the digital repository of photography and video assets. Design projects may include social media graphics, digital campaign assets, event materials, presentations, infographics, publications, and many other branded visual materials. The Junior Designer will work under the direction of the Creative Director and interface with external vendors. The Junior Designer will frequently collaborate with staff in all AJWS departments to create visual materials that are visually exciting and consistent with AJWS’s brand.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Design and layout social media graphics, presentations, email invitations, postcards, publications, event collateral, and more using Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat Pro;
- Support the Creative Dept. with photo research and design tasks;
- Archive and tag visual assets, such as photography and video, in our online searchable repository;
- Develop deep understanding of archiving software and troubleshoot as needed;
- Participate in department and division strategic discussions;
- Help manage ongoing printing of AJWS stationery, business cards and other collateral;
- Work with external vendors to ensure quality and timely delivery of print products.
- 2-4 years experience in creative or advertising industry;
- Professional-level knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator and Acrobat;
- Ability to coordinate and complete multiple projects simultaneously, under the direction of Creative Director;
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite and ability to work in both Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows;
- Video editing skills a plus;
- Must have organizational skills and be detail-oriented;
- Strong interest in non-profit work, communications and/or international human rights preferred.
Compensation and Benefits Information:
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience and the market;
- Paid Time Off: 15-21 Federal and religious holidays off each year in addition to generous vacation and sick days;
- Full health benefits coverage with minimal contribution by employees;
- 403(b): 4% company match (safe harbor);
- Flexible Spending Account and Commuter Benefits;
- Workplace flexibility and generous leave policy.
Black, Indigenous and People of Color; Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Intersex, Trans and Gender non-conforming people; women; and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. We also encourage applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual and cultural backgrounds.
As an organization committed to promoting social justice around the world, it is essential that we incorporate a diverse, equitable and inclusive lens into all aspects of our work at AJWS. We encourage applicants with a global perspective and a commitment to values around diversity, equity, and inclusion to apply.
Authorization to work in the US is required.
How to Apply
For immediate consideration, click on the link to apply below.
Applications must be submitted with the following to be considered:
- Cover letter
- Link to portfolio design samples