Overview of AJWS:
Inspired by the Jewish commitment to justice, American Jewish World Service (AJWS) works to realize human rights and end poverty in the developing world. AJWS promotes civil and political rights; advances sexual health and rights; defends land, water and climate justice; and aids communities in the aftermath of disasters. AJWS pursues lasting change by supporting grassroots and global human rights organizations in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean and by mobilizing supporters in the U.S. to advocate for global justice. Working together, the AJWS community strives to build a more just and equitable world.
Founded in 1985, AJWS is the first and only American Jewish organization dedicated solely to alleviating poverty, hunger and disease in the developing world. Since its founding, AJWS has supported more than a thousand grassroots social change organizations and has granted $360 million to support human rights. Today AJWS has a budget of more than $50M. There are over 100 U.S.-based employees located in five offices (New York City, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Washington, D.C.), and 24 country representatives in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean. The organization has more than 190,000 supporters across the U.S. and around the world.
American Jewish World Service (AJWS) is seeking a highly organized and energetic HR Associate to support a fast paced, global Human Resources department. The HR Associate will be a key member of the team, handling all administrative functions in a wide variety of areas including recruitment and hiring, on-boarding and off-boarding, reporting and metrics, employee relations, performance management and training and development. The HR Associate will also provide support for the benefits, payroll, and administrative services functions, as needed. The ideal candidate must be a flexible team player, with a proactive approach to work, who can thrive while multi-tasking in a cross-functional, fluid environment to support the department in offering outstanding customer service.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide administrative support to the day-to-day operations of the HR department including processing invoices, writing correspondence, liaising with service providers and maintaining all electronic and paper files according to record retention and other legal requirements;
- Create and maintain systems and processes to improve functions of the department and increase efficiencies;
- Manage the life cycle of employee files (electronic and hard copy) by creating offer letters, generating new files and migrating old files into storage;
- Schedule and provide all logistical support for meetings, including organization-wide trainings, team meetings and information sessions hosted by the department;
- Manage logistics for an HR lead trainings and facilitate on-boarding training for new employees;
- Respond to all HR inquiries and provide policy interpretation, escalate issues to other members of the HR team as necessary;
- Complete all HR related surveys and ensure AJWS obtains and saves survey data information;
- Compile nominations for internal and external staff awards or recognitions;
- Lead the Summer Internship Program by identifying internship projects with staff, recruiting, interviewing and hiring interns and scheduling all intern program meetings;
- Coordinate all aspects of the recruitment process, including entering jobs into Epicor, AJWS’s HRIS, posting and managing job descriptions, researching relevant job boards, screening resumes, scheduling interviews, corresponding with hiring managers, setting up and closing job folders and managing applicant flow;
- Oversee the on-boarding and off-boarding process, including generation of offer letters, scheduling monthly new hire orientations, reviewing and processing new hire and termination paperwork for input into HR system and ensuring that all checklists are maintained for record keeping purposes;
- Ensure that the department is adequately equipped with supplies including informational packets (new hire, exit, parental leave etc.) and current benefit handouts for staff distribution and maintain the HR folder in AJWS’s internal drive;
- Support the Senior Payroll and Benefits Specialist and ensure the integrity of all employee data, creating and running reports for the department as well as for managers and executive staff as requested; and
- Research best practices and support the department with projects, including performance management, compliance audits, and open enrollment.
- 2-3 years relevant work experience;
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- Excellent customer service and communication skills;
- Motivated self-starter capable of working independently as well as within a team;
- Proactive team player and forward thinking work style;
- Flexible work style with the ability to work under tight deadlines, shift priorities, manage multiple complex tasks, use sound judgment and make appropriate decisions;
- Detail-oriented and well-organized;
- Thrives in a fast paced environment;
- Proven Track record of professionalism and maintaining a high level of confidentiality;
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and Adobe preferred;
- Exceptional writing, editing, and proofreading skills;
- Experience working with Payroll and HRMS systems preferred;
- Knowledge of State and Federal employment laws relating to key areas of responsibility;
- Alignment with AJWS’s core values; and
- Commitment to AJWS’s mission.
People of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, intersex, trans and gender non-conforming people; women; and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. We also encourage applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual and cultural backgrounds.
Authorization to work in the US is required.
How to Apply
For immediate consideration please apply below.
Applications submitted without a personalized cover letter will not be considered.