This position will assist AJWS’s finance team with day to day accounting and financial activities. Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, accounts payable, account analysis, month end closing, financial reporting and other accounting processes as required. The position will also support the finance team during its annual audit process and training staff on AJWS’s Travel and Expense Management system.
The Intern will gain the following skills:
- Develop a broad understanding of nonprofit accounting;
- Apply accounting skills to real-life situations;
- Become familiar with all the major areas of the Finance Department including revenue processing, accounts payable, account reconciliation, financial reporting and audit preparation;
- Interact with other departments and learn how Finance supports the mission and programs of AJWS.
- Review and process all invoices to ensure accurate and timely payments to vendors;
- Review and manage Employee Corporate Credit Card and Travel Cash Advance Programs, ensure T&E expense reports that are submitted are in accordance with T&E policy and prepare T&E journal entries;
- Check figures, postings, and documents for correct entry, mathematical accuracy, proper approvals and proper coding;
- Prepare and complete month-end responsibilities including journal entries (i.e. accrued expenses, ACHs, wires);
- Reconcile and monitor vendor profiles and bring to the attention of the Senior Accountant any inconsistencies;
- Assist in training staff on AJWS’s Travel & Expense Management system, Concur.
- Assist in the preparation of the monthly internal financial reports;
- Assist in annual independent audit by preparing audit work papers and account analyses;
- Interest or studies in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or related field
- Self-motivated, organized and detail oriented
- Ability to work both independently as well as be an integral member of the finance team
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office with strong knowledge of Excel is required