The intern position will assist AJWS’s budget team with internal budget reporting. Responsibilities will include, but not limited to, attending budget meetings with other AJWS departments, assist in reclassification of general ledger transactions, monitor departmental and restricted spending and monitor committed costs activities, and financial forecasting and modeling.
The Intern will gain the following skills:
- Interact with other departments and learn how the budget team and finance supports the mission and programs of AJWS
- Gain an understanding of how AJWS developed the budgets for the fiscal year
- Become familiar with AJWS’ accounting software including generating reports and preparing general ledger entries
- Observe how restricted funding is budgeted and spent in a nonprofit organization
- Gain an understanding of the impact of committed costs towards budgets
- Understanding cost drivers and financial planning for providing organization strategic road map
- Prepare monthly Statement of Expenditure reports (budget vs. actual) to be used during meetings with AJWS departments
- Prepare journal voucher entries to correct miscoding or reclassification of transactions
- Review committed costs and reconcile the balances against remaining available funds per department and restriction
- Interest or studies in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or related field
- Self-motivated, organized and detail oriented
- Ability to work both independently as well as be an integral member of the finance/budget team
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office with strong knowledge of Excel is required
How to Apply:
This is a paid 8-week program, beginning June 22nd and concluding August 14th. It is designed for students who have completed at least one year at a college or university. Students interested in pursuing a summer internship at AJWS should submit a resume and application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name(s) of the internship(s) in the subject line.
Driven by Jewish and human rights values, AJWS prioritizes and celebrates diversity. People of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, intersex, trans and gender non-conforming people; women; and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. We also encourage applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual and cultural backgrounds.
Application submission deadline is March 6, 2020.