Overview of AJWS:
Inspired by the Jewish commitment to justice, American Jewish World Service (AJWS) works to realize human rights and end poverty in the developing world. AJWS defends civil and political rights; advances sexual health and rights; promotes land rights and climate justice; and aids communities in the aftermath of disasters. We pursue lasting change by supporting grassroots and global human rights organizations in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean and by advocating for U.S. and international policies for justice and equality worldwide.
About the Position:
AJWS seeks a skilled Executive Assistant to support the work of the Vice President for Finance and Administration, who oversees Finance, Human Resources, Information Technology, Administration, Safety and Security, and Facilities. The ideal candidate for this position will have a deep commitment to AJWS’s mission, a keen mind, high energy, and the ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks carefully and quickly. The individual must be comfortable interacting with senior-level professionals and must have strong interpersonal skills to manage complex situations with good judgment, discretion and tact. S/he must be incredibly well organized and demonstrate excellent writing, editing and critical-thinking skills, and must take initiative to anticipate problems and innovate creative solutions while being able to make connections about the work. The ideal candidate will be organized, detail-oriented, patient and flexible, with an ability to multi-task and thrive in a fast-paced office environment while maintaining a sense of humor and upbeat attitude.
Key Responsibilities Include, but are not limited to:
- Assist with set-up and coordination of meetings: prepare materials, connect remote staff (including participants located in multiple time zones) take and circulate meeting notes, and ensure next steps are captured and completed;
- Manage Vice President’s calendar: stay up-to-date with her calendar and those of direct reports; schedule meetings; allocate time according to priorities; ensure Outlook calendars are up-to-date, accurate, and in sync with the Human Resources systems; and serve as the Vice President’s calendar resource to AJWS staff;
- Confirm all appointments and arrangements and keep the Vice President updated on all schedule changes made on their behalf;
- Organize and maintain paper and electronic files;
- Receive and screen all incoming calls and/or visitors to the Vice President’s office and ensure appropriate follow-up to requests;
- In the Vice President’s absence, manage all communications with direct reports and executive team colleagues;
- Provide limited administrative support to all units reporting to the Vice President;
- Provide occasional back-up support for the front desk or other executive assistants across the organization;
- Organize annual Finance and Administration division retreat selecting venues, working with vendors, creating program and preparing materials;
- Review all mail and documents requiring Vice President’s follow-up;
- Take minutes and prepare summary action reports in a variety of key meetings including but not limited to Board committees, taskforce meetings, and F&A Director’s meetings;
- Manage and improve systems to enable the Vice President to work more efficiently;
- Manage distribution of materials on behalf of the Vice President;
- Arrange messenger services and package pick-up as required;
- Support Vice President with preparation for events;
- Perform necessary administrative functions, including preparing expense reports, ordering supplies, ordering lunch, organizing and maintaining print materials and files, and coordinating travel arrangements;
- Research, plan and execute special projects as requested by the Vice President.
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- At least three years of experience assisting at the executive level or in an administrative capacity;
- Detail-oriented, well-organized and able to maintain a high level of professionalism;
- High level of emotional intelligence and a track record of demonstrating sound judgment by taking initiative and making appropriate decisions;
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, especially across all levels of the organization and pleasant demeanor;
- Works well under pressure and able to coordinate several projects simultaneously;
- Motivated self-starter capable of working independently as well as within a team environment;
- Exceptional writing, editing, and proofreading skills required;
- Creative and conceptual with an ability to “think outside the box”;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite, especially Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Keen ability to learn teleconference and video conferencing technologies required;
- Willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends;
- Knowledge of MIP or other financial databases a plus;
- Ability to seamlessly adapt to different working styles;
- An interest in non-profit operations a plus; and
- Commitment to the mission and values of AJWS.
How to Apply:
For immediate consideration, click on the link below to apply. Please attach your resume and cover letter within the application. Applications submitted without a personalized cover letter will not be considered.
We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with AJWS. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
AJWS is an equal opportunity employer and provides competitive salaries and benefits.