Overview of AJWS:
American Jewish World Service (AJWS) is the leading Jewish organization working to fight poverty and pursue justice in the developing world. By supporting hundreds of social change organizations in 19 countries, we respond to the most pressing issues of our time—from disasters, genocide and hunger, to the persecution of women and minorities worldwide. With Jewish values and a global reach, AJWS is making a difference in millions of lives and bringing a more just and equitable world closer for all.
American Jewish World Service (AJWS) has an exciting opportunity for a highly skilled, motivated, and organized executive assistant to work closely with the Vice President for Development while also providing a high level of administrative support. The ideal candidate will be organized, detail-oriented, patient and flexible, with an ability to multi-task and thrive in a fast-paced office environment while maintaining an upbeat attitude. The individual must be comfortable interacting with senior-level professionals and have strong interpersonal skills to manage complex situations with good judgment and tact. In addition, the successful candidate must be incredibly well organized and demonstrate excellent writing, editing and critical-thinking skills, and must take initiative to anticipate problems and innovate creative solutions while being able to make connections about the work. The executive assistant is expected to maintain confidentiality and exhibit discretion and professionalism in all aspects of the work. This is a full-time non-exempt position.
- Provide administrative support to the Vice President for Development including managing a busy calendar, scheduling and prioritizing appointments and making travel arrangements for international and domestic travel;
- Manage and improve systems to enable the Vice President to work more efficiently;
- Assist the Vice President in monitoring progress and managing projects, encouraging cross-departmental collaboration;
- Assist with set-up and coordination of meetings: prepare materials, connect remote staff (including participants located in multiple time zones) take and circulate meeting notes, select venues, work with vendors and ensure next steps are captured and completed;
- Organize and maintain paper and electronic files;
- Receive and screen all incoming calls and/or visitors to the Vice President’s office and ensure appropriate follow-up to requests;
- In the Vice President’s absence, manage all communications with direct reports and executive team colleagues;
- Provide limited administrative support to all units reporting to the Vice President;
- Prepare materials, slides and agendas for development presentations to staff or the Board;
- Draft, proofread and edit written materials for distribution on behalf of the Vice President, including correspondence with internal and external colleagues;
- Prepare expense reports for the Vice President and review expense reports from the Vice President’s direct reports to ensure all required documentation is included before submitting for approval;
- Support the Vice President with their portfolio by updating the donor database with notes, actions, media and other pertinent information, as directed;
- BA/BS or equivalent degree required;
- At least three years of experience assisting at the executive level or in an administrative capacity;
- Detail-oriented, well-organized and able to maintain a high level of professionalism;
- High level of emotional intelligence and a track record of demonstrating sound judgment by taking initiative and making appropriate decisions;
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, especially across all levels of the organization and pleasant demeanor;
- Works well under pressure and able to coordinate several projects simultaneously;
- Motivated self-starter capable of working independently as well as within a team environment;
- Exceptional writing, editing, and proofreading skills required;
- Creative and conceptual with an ability to “think outside the box”;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite, especially Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Keen ability to learn teleconference and video conferencing technologies required;
- Willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications; Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge and SalesForce, a plus;
- Previous experience in the non-profit sector is a plus; strong interest in development and fundraising;
- Commitment to AJWS’s mission and issues of global social justice.
Compensation and Benefits Information:
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience and the market
- Paid Time Off: 15-21 Federal and religious holidays off each year in addition to generous vacation and sick days
- Full health benefits coverage with minimal contribution by employees
- 403(b): 4% company match (safe harbor)
- Flexible Spending Account and Commuter Benefits
- Workplace flexibility and generous leave policy
People of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, intersex, trans and gender non-conforming people; women; and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. We also encourage applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual and cultural backgrounds.
Authorization to work in the US is required.
How to Apply
For immediate consideration please apply below.
Applications submitted without a personalized cover letter will not be considered.