Overview of AJWS
American Jewish World Service (AJWS) is the leading Jewish organization working to promote human rights and end poverty in the developing world. AJWS advances the health and rights of women, girls and LGBT people; promotes civil and political rights; defends access to food, land and water; and aids communities in the aftermath of disasters. We pursue lasting change by granting approximately $40 million annually to more than 500 grassroots and global human rights organizations in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean and by mobilizing our community in the U.S. to advocate for global justice. Working together, we strive to build a more just and equitable world.
Overview of Position
AJWS seeks a skilled Project Associate/Executive Assistant to support the Executive Vice President (EVP). The ideal candidate for this position will have a deep commitment to AJWS’s mission, a keen mind, high energy and the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks carefully and quickly. The individual must be comfortable interacting with senior-level professionals and must have strong interpersonal skills to manage complex situations with good judgment, discretion and tact. She/he will demonstrate excellent writing, editing and critical-thinking skills, be able to manage detailed logistics on multiple projects, and must take initiative to anticipate problems and innovate creative solutions. This position has a sizable administrative component, so strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and follow through are essential.
Reporting to the Executive Vice President (EVP), the Project Associate/Executive Assistant will also work closely with the Chief of Staff and Board Liaison, and have a unique opportunity to be exposed to AJWS’s overarching vision and mission as well as the work of all the organizational divisions: Communications, Development, Finance and Administration, Programs, and Strategic Learning Research and Evaluation. This position is non-exempt and overtime eligible.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Executive Assistant Support
- Provide administrative support primarily to the EVP, and as needed for the Chief of Staff and President & CEO, including managing calendars, scheduling and prioritizing appointments, and making travel arrangements for international and domestic travel.
- Perform necessary administrative functions, including preparing expense reports, ordering supplies, ordering lunch and organizing and maintaining paper and electronic files.
- Create, maintain and improve systems to aid the EVP’s productivity and overall efficiency of the Executive Office.
- Handle all communications with the EVP’s direct reports and all major contributors when the EVP is unavailable to do so. Answer questions independently when able, and assure the EVP receives a record of all actions.
- Work collaboratively with the Chief of Staff and other executive assistants to support the work of the executive team.
- Take minutes at meetings as needed and prepare summary action reports.
- Draft correspondence and using excellent judgement and tact, ensure consistent and clear communication to and from the EVP on issues of importance.
- Receive and screen all incoming calls and/or visitors to the EVP’s office and ensure appropriate follow-up to requests.
Project Associate Support
- Support the EVP and other key stakeholders with implementation of organization-wide systems and processes.
- Monitor deliverables and deadlines and manage follow up with the EVP’s direct reports;
- Assist the EVP in monitoring progress on organizational priorities, managing projects, and encouraging cross-departmental collaboration.
- Collaborate with the finance department to maintain the EVP’s budget.
- Represent the EVP in meetings when they are unable to attend, capture key takeaways and ensure the EVP is briefed and follow up is done appropriately.
- Research and prepare written analyses and reports on various topics and draft, edit and proofread memos, PowerPoint presentations and other written materials.
- Assist in preparation of meetings and retreats, coordinating logistics, materials preparation, and any necessary follow up.
- Assist with project data collection activities such as surveys to maintain and improve the effectiveness of workflow and internal processes.
- Assist in the preparation of quarterly board meetings.
- BA/BS or equivalent degree preferred.
- 4+ years relevant experience providing administrative or project support in a dynamic, high-energy environment.
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Exceptionally organized, detail-oriented and able to manage multiple complex tasks.
- Flexible work style with the ability to work under tight deadlines and with shifting priorities.
- Creative and conceptual with an ability to “think outside the box”.
- Excitement about learning and collaborating with a busy executive.
- High level of professionalism with the ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information.
- Track record of demonstrating sound judgment by making appropriate decisions and knowing when to take initiative.
- Previous experience in the non-profit sector is a plus.
- Proven experience with systems, technology and Microsoft Office applications.
- Pleasant demeanor with exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Ability and willingness to work occasional late evenings or weekends.
- Commitment to AJWS’s mission and issues of global social justice.
Compensation and Benefits Information:
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience and the market;
- Paid Time Off: 15-21 Federal and religious holidays off each year in addition to generous vacation and sick days;
- Full health benefits coverage with minimal contribution by employees;
- 403(b): 4% company match (safe harbor);
- Flexible Spending Account and Commuter Benefits;
- Workplace flexibility and generous leave policy.
People of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, intersex, trans and gender non-conforming people; women; and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. We also encourage applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual and cultural backgrounds.
Authorization to work in the US is required.
How to Apply:
For immediate consideration, apply below. Please put your name in the title of both documents.
Applications submitted without a resume and personalized cover letter will not be considered.