Overview of AJWS
American Jewish World Service (AJWS) is the leading Jewish organization working to promote human rights and end poverty in the developing world. AJWS advances the health and rights of women, girls and LGBT people; promotes civil and political rights; defends access to food, land and water; and aids communities in the aftermath of disasters. We pursue lasting change by granting approximately $40 million annually to more than 500 grassroots and global human rights organizations in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean and by mobilizing our community in the U.S. to advocate for global justice. Working together, we strive to build a more just and equitable world.
Overview of Position
American Jewish World Service (AJWS) has an exciting opportunity for a dynamic, motivated, thoughtful and highly organized individual to provide administrative support to the Executive Office, which includes the President & CEO, the Executive Vice President (EVP), the Chief of Staff and the Board Liaison. This position provides a unique opportunity to work closely with organizational leadership in thinking strategically about organizational effectiveness and maximizing efficient use of the time while also providing a high level of administrative support.
Reporting to the Chief of Staff, the Executive Assistant will have a unique opportunity to be exposed to AJWS’s overarching vision and mission as well as the work of all the organizational divisions: Communications, Development, Finance & Administration, Programs, and Strategic Learning, Research & Evaluation.
The ideal candidate for this position will have a deep commitment to AJWS’s mission, a keen mind, high energy and the ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks carefully and quickly. The individual must be comfortable interacting with senior-level professionals and must have strong interpersonal skills to manage complex situations with good judgment, discretion and tact. They will demonstrate excellent writing, editing and critical-thinking skills, and must take initiative to anticipate problems and innovate creative solutions. This position has a sizable administrative component, so strong organizational skills and attention to detail is essential. This is a non-exempt position.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide administrative support to the Executive Office including managing calendars, scheduling and prioritizing appointments, and making travel arrangements for international and domestic travel;
- Manage and improve systems to enable the Executive Office to work more efficiently and create clear processes by which important information is disseminated;
- Arrange daily preparation materials including itineraries, internal notes and talking points;
- Answer questions independently when able, and ensure the Chief of Staff receives a record of all actions on behalf of the Executive Office;
- Represent members of the Executive Office in meetings when they are unable to attend, capture key takeaways and ensure there is appropriate follow up;
- Confirm all appointments and arrangements and keep the President & CEO, EVP and Chief of Staff updated on all schedule changes made on their behalf;
- Partner with the Board Liaison as needed and schedule meetings with and for board members as required;
- Build effective relationships with the Vice Presidents and their staff to ensure that the EVP is fully informed on matters of significance across all divisions;
- Receive and screen all incoming calls and visitors to the Executive Office and ensure appropriate follow-up to requests;
- Support with preparation for events;
- Transcribe and draft correspondence with colleagues and maintain follow-up file of all correspondences;
- Research, plan and execute special projects as requested;
- Organize and maintain paper and electronic files;
- Support preparation for and assist at quarterly board meetings;
- Take minutes at meetings as needed and prepare summary action reports; and
- Occasionally assist with a variety of personal tasks related to correspondence, scheduling, and travel.
- 3+ years relevant work experience providing administrative support in a dynamic, high-energy environment;
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required;
- Exceptionally organized, detail-oriented and able to manage multiple complex tasks;
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, especially across all levels of the organization, and pleasant demeanor;
- Flexible work style with the ability to work under tight deadlines and shifting priorities;
- Motivated self-starter capable of working independently as well as within a team environment;
- Exceptional writing, editing, and proofreading skills required;
- Thrives in a fast paced environment;
- Track record of demonstrating sound judgment by making appropriate decisions and knowing when to take initiative;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications;
- Creative and conceptual with an ability to “think outside the box”;
- High level of professionalism with the ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information;
- Occasional late evenings or weekend work;
- Previous experience in the non-profit sector, a plus; and
- Commitment to issues of global social justice and human rights and familiarity with the Jewish community, a plus.
Compensation and Benefits Information:
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience and the market;
- Paid Time Off: 15-21 Federal and religious holidays off each year in addition to generous vacation and sick days;
- Full health benefits coverage with minimal contribution by employees;
- 403(b): 4% company match (safe harbor);
- Flexible Spending Account and Commuter Benefits;
- Workplace flexibility and generous leave policy.
People of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, intersex, trans and gender non-conforming people; women; and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. We also encourage applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual and cultural backgrounds.
Authorization to work in the US is required.
How to Apply:
For immediate consideration, please submit your resume and cover letter. Applications submitted without a personalized cover letter will not be considered.