Overview of AJWS
American Jewish World Service (AJWS) is the leading Jewish organization working to fight poverty and pursue justice in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean. By supporting hundreds of social change organizations in 17 countries, we respond to the most pressing issues of our time—from disasters, genocide and hunger, to the persecution of women and minorities worldwide. With Jewish values and a global reach, AJWS is making a difference in millions of lives and bringing a more just and equitable world closer for all.
Overview of Team
The Information Technology (IT) Department is one of three teams within the Finance and Administration Division of AJWS. The IT team oversees the IT infrastructure of the organization and provides technology services and solutions to AJWS’s primarily remote global workforce. The team is responsible for the organization’s digital transformation by bringing AJWS’s technological capacity in line with the increasing complexity of its operating environment. The team partners with key process owners across the organization to identify strategic opportunities for systems and technological improvements while supporting the day to day needs of approximately 125 end users.
Reporting to the Vice President of Finance and Administration, the Director of IT is accountable for the design, development, and support of all enterprise IT systems required for business operations. They function as the head of the IT department, overseeing1 IT staff as well as all activities related to systems engineering, support, cyber security, helpdesk, and development of mobile and software solutions. The director will also be responsible for developing and sustaining a global technology infrastructure which addresses current needs as well as planned growth in scale and sophistication.
Onsite support in the NYC HQ as needed.
Limited travel may be required within the U.S. or internationally.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Define organization evolution and lead successful scaling of our technology team to deliver on the vision and goals in line with organization’s strategic plan;
- Develop and document policies, procedures and protocols for all processes; ensure all old and new processes are documented accordingly;
- Collaborate with the Executive Leadership Team and key process owners across the organization to plan, lead and implement strategic technological improvement processes, policies and procedures;
- Evaluate organization-wide technology systems and recommend initiatives to the Executive Leadership Team that will yield greater productivity and efficiency; monitor performance of systems/processes by gathering relevant baseline data and then creating measurable, achievable outcomes for systems/processes;
- Act as a technical advisor on best practices by performing research and planning related to future technology related/supported initiatives and partnerships;
- Support relevant business units in delivering trainings related to technology changes/advancements within their business unit and/or deliver trainings, as needed;
- Hire and oversee vendors/consultants for technology improvement projects as needed and manage project budgeting and expenses.
- Consult with internal stakeholders to identify and develop technology solutions to improve reporting and data management;
- Develop plans and set standards and processes for delivery of a next generation long term technology roadmap, and utilize a service-oriented approach to IT support and management;
- Keep abreast of advances in technology to improve AJWS’s capacity and act as a technical advisor on best practices, making recommendations on IT products, services and protocols related to future initiatives;
- Assess system capabilities, deficiencies and threats and effectively manage and address IT security for AJWS’s infrastructure and remote staff including backup and replication of data for business continuity and disaster recovery.
- Apply problem solving skills to proactively assist staff on issues related to the design, development and deployment of organization-wide IT systems and applications;
- Successfully manage multiple projects with concurrent and consecutive timelines and oversee the department budget and project expenses;
- Lead and motivate staff to achieve quality performance and utilize IT staff with an eye toward efficient use of resources;
- Hire and oversee staff, vendors, and consultants as needed, and initiate and manage changes in IT infrastructure and staff assignments;
- Manage critical incidents and problems as they arise from response to resolution for major incidents and service outages that impacts the organization’s primary functions;
- Ensure timely system upgrades and maintenance through appropriate delegation of duties; and
- Work closely with other directors to address departmental and organizational needs and participate in new program opportunities and business development.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, or other technology-related field or at least 10 years of dynamically increasing responsibilities in professional IT roles with a focus on systems integration and architecture;
- Experience in analysis, implementation and evaluation of IT systems and their specifications;
- Experience in developing organization-wide solutions and a unique ability to champion technology for effective implementation;
- Creative and innovative problem solver who balances user needs, technical considerations, and resource constraints with a keen ability to analyze business requirements and quickly determine solutions;
- Ability to effectively work across all levels in the organization and build a positive and successful customer service culture
- Ability to manage projects in a manner that promotes communication, collaboration and innovation
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail with demonstrated strengths in project management and a proven ability to successfully lead projects with multiple complex tasks to completion;
- High level of emotional intelligence;
- Ability to communicate complicated technological matters to audiences who have various understandings or limited backgrounds in technology
- Firm grasp and keen interest in following emerging technologies and up-to-date understanding of market trends; and
- Commitment to social justice and human rights and a passion for the work of AJWS.
- Knowledge of remote connectivity infrastructure and virtualization technologies;
- Knowledge of messaging systems platforms including Office365;
- Knowledge of Information Technology Infrastructure auditing best practices and proven experience with PCI, ISO frameworks
- Experience in a multi-cultural environment;
- Previous experiences on major IT Transformation (working in environments with legacy technology and migrating to modern);
- Knowledge and implementation of best-in-class solutions;
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Knowledge of LAN/WAN and VOIP technologies, network protocols, firewall and network security;
- Knowledge of core Microsoft infrastructure technologies including Active Directory, DHCP, and DNS;
- Knowledge of database management systems such as SQL and Microsoft Azure cloud infrastructure;
- Knowledge and managing of cloud based platforms such as Salesforce, Marketing Cloud, and Ecommerce payment platforms (e.g., PayPal, Springboard, etc.);
- Ability to travel domestically or internationally as needed;
- Must be able to work occasional nights, weekends, holidays, and on-call for emergencies;
- Ability to manage confidential material with absolute trust and integrity;
- Salary: $112,000-$157,000
- This role is full time (40 HRS), Exempt
Remote – US-based, location-specific (NY-metro area)
*This role is flexible in nature, having some responsibilities that can be performed virtually from a home office and some responsibilities that must be performed in person at AJWS Global Headquarters.
Compensation and Benefits Information
- AJWS is committed to a salary framework that aligns with our culture and values. The compensation range reflected is in alignment with our framework and individual pay decisions will vary based on skills and experience while still allowing for growth.
- Paid Time Off: 15-22 Federal and religious holidays off each year in addition to generous vacation and sick days;
- Full health benefits coverage with minimal contribution by employees;
- 403(b): 4.25% company match (safe harbor);
- Flexible Spending Account and Commuter Benefits;
- Workplace flexibility and generous leave policy.
Black, Indigenous and People of Color; Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Intersex, Trans and Gender non-conforming people; women; and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. We also encourage applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual and cultural backgrounds.
As an organization committed to promoting social justice around the world, it is essential that we incorporate a diverse, equitable and inclusive lens into all aspects of our work at AJWS. We encourage applicants with a global perspective and a commitment to values around diversity, equity, and inclusion to apply.
Authorization to work in the US is required.
How to Apply
For immediate consideration, apply below. Applications submitted without a resume and personalized cover letter will not be considered. We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with AJWS. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.