Overview of AJWS
American Jewish World Service (AJWS) is the leading Jewish organization working to pursue justice and fight poverty in the developing world. By supporting hundreds of social change organizations in 19 countries, we respond to the most pressing issues of our time—from disasters, genocide and hunger, to the persecution of women and minorities worldwide. With Jewish values and a global reach, AJWS is making a difference in millions of lives and bringing a more just and equitable world closer for all.
American Jewish World Service (AJWS) is seeking a digital communications leader to advance the organization’s global digital presence in service of its mission, vision and programs. The Director of Digital Communications will report to the Vice President for Communications and will manage a growing team of digital professionals, including staff and external consultants, who are responsible for AJWS’s website, social media, digital marketing, online fundraising and advocacy campaigns. The Director will: 1) lead efforts by AJWS to market itself digitally and grow its audiences and community of supporters, including donors and action takers; 2) segment AJWS’s online audiences and sub-audiences to communicate with each in the most effective manner, drawing on audience research and digital analytics to develop customized content and messaging strategies; and 3) collaborate with the entire communications team, especially the Director of Publications and Marketing, the Creative Director, AJWS staff across the United States and consultants to AJWS in 19 developing countries to ensure that AJWS’s brand identity and messages are presented consistently and effectively across all digital platforms.
The Director of Digital Communications will serve as a leader at AJWS and will proactively assess and adopt emergent technologies and strategies and develop new programs accordingly. The Director will function as a strategist, implementer, manager and ambassador for AJWS among digital professionals and networks. Finally, the Director of Digital Communications must achieve measurable results and hold themselves and their team accountable for producing them.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead the strategy, execution and implementation of all digital communications for AJWS, including building and managing a growing team.
- Work closely with the Vice President for Communications to ensure an integrated and strategic approach to all aspects of AJWS’s digital presence and overall communications, consistent with AJWS’s overall communications and marketing efforts.
- Oversee the management of all social media initiatives, ensuring that AJWS’s social media efforts are strategic and meaningful, and function to expand key audiences.
- Conceptualize and manage cross-channel campaigns, spanning digital and non-digital platforms, to raise funds, engage supporters and activists with AJWS and educate key audiences about our work. Then market such efforts via paid online advertising, search engine marketing, internal and external partnerships, etc.
- Manage digital projects from conception to completion with precision, keeping team members on task.
- Devise online campaigns and actions with AJWS advocacy team.
- Collaborate closely with the Communications Project Manager to organize, delegate and deliver cross-departmental and cross-divisional projects on time, especially as they relate to digital-first projects.
- Mentor staff, support colleagues’ growth and work to fill gaps in knowledge and skills on the Digital Team.
- Collaborate respectfully with all colleagues across the organization.
- Ensure data-driven decision-making on the Digital Team and across the organization, including utilizing web, social and e-mail analytics to measure and enhance the impact of AJWS’s entire digital operation.
- Monitor and respond to emergencies and natural disasters in the developing world by managing AJWS’s online response.
- Minimum 10 years professional experience with at least 3 years of experience in a senior management position in a non-profit environment.
- Minimum 5 years of digital experience in non-profit communications, fundraising and online engagement.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree a plus.
- Proven expertise in marketing and fundraising strategies in the context of a non-profit organization.
- Proven track record in growing online fundraising, website traffic, social media followership and email subscribers.
- Political and advocacy campaign experience.
- Ability to cultivate a high-functioning team.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities under tight deadlines and in a timely, calm and respectful manner.
- Excellent writing, editing, proofreading and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write for multiple digital platforms and tailor messages and content to diverse audiences of donors and activists.
- Ability to embrace a “learning mindset” and serve as a model for innovation, creativity and out-of-the-box thinking.
- Understanding of the American Jewish social justice landscape and human rights arena in which we work and ability to develop relevant Jewish content in service of our global human rights efforts.
- Understanding of human rights challenges in the developing world and ability to communicate in a culturally respectful manner.
- Strong analytical skills and data management experience, including use and/or management of CRM, CMS and project management platforms.
- Knowledge of Salesforce Marketing Cloud or similar platform a plus.
- High levels of cultural and emotional intelligence.
- Able to build healthy and productive relationships with colleagues who occupy different roles, levels of leadership and areas of expertise within the organization.
- Agility, nimbleness and respect for relationships in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work with a diverse global staff that includes people with different cultural, racial, religious and ethnic backgrounds, as well as different gender identities and sexual orientations.
- Highly organized work style that facilitates advance planning and clear, comprehensive and timely communication with colleagues across the organization.
- Highly professional demeanor with strong interpersonal skills and judgment
- Demonstrated ability to manage internal teams, contractors and consultants with emotional intelligence and good humor, while delivering results.
- Must possess a commitment to global justice and deep respect for other cultures.
People of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, intersex, trans and gender non-conforming people; women; and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. We also encourage applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual and cultural backgrounds.
Authorization to work in the US is required.
How to Apply:
For immediate consideration, apply below.
Applications submitted without a resume and personalized cover letter will not be considered.