Overview of AJWS
Inspired by the Jewish commitment to justice, American Jewish World Service (AJWS) works to realize human rights and end poverty in the developing world. AJWS defends civil and political rights; advances sexual health and rights; promotes land rights and climate justice; and aids communities in the aftermath of disasters. We pursue lasting change by supporting grassroots and global human rights organizations in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean and by advocating for U.S. and international policies for justice and equality worldwide.
Overview of Regional Office
AJWS’s Chicago office is responsible for overseeing and implementing the vision of AJWS in the Chicago area and the greater Midwest Region. Our work includes fundraising and leadership development through major gifts, raising community awareness, increasing brand recognition through special events and targeted communications, and building Jewish community partnerships and relationships with organizations and key opinion leaders to achieve lasting policy change.
AJWS-Chicago’s Development Associate plays a key role in the success of regional events and community engagement by serving as an AJWS ambassador to constituents and community partners and providing program-planning support. As a staff member on the national Development Division team, the Development Associate will receive policy messaging and informational training on a variety of human rights issues around the globe as they relate to the work of AJWS, in order to better represent AJWS to constituents and the community. The Development Associate will also provide administrative support.
- Work closely with the Chicago Director to manage event timelines, deadlines, outreach and vendor contracts;
- Coordinate event recruitment through social media, email blasts, tracking RSVPs and assisting in follow-up with key donors and prospects
- Plan, organize and provide on-site staffing at donor engagement events, as well as for local Leadership Council meetings, including set-up of event materials, catering, and any other supplies or equipment;
- Assume responsibility for the growth and development of AJWS Midwest’s young leadership group, Global Circle;
- Research grant opportunities and assist in creation of letters of intent in support of the AJWS mission;
- Collaborate with the NY based Communications Department team for event invitations and promotional materials (including printed collateral and digital media);
- Coordinate Chicago/Midwest travel logistics, prospect meetings and speaking engagements for AJWS senior staff, special visitors (including AJWS grantees) and for Chicago Director;
- Provide donor database support, including queries and reports, data entry, donor research and list management; and
- Assist with budget management, finance administration and general office operations.
- Bachelors degree (or equivalent) and 1-2 years of related experience required;
- Ability to self-start, work independently as part of a small, regional team and interface regularly with national colleagues, donors and local constituents;
- Highly organized, with the proven ability to manage projects and priorities, work independently, prioritize and complete projects;
- Superior written and oral communications skills, and attention to detail;
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office programs required; familiarity with Raiser’s Edge is a plus.
- Experience with, and commitment to human rights and social justice.
- Availability to work occasional nights and weekends for special events
- Previous events-planning experience and NGO/nonprofit-sector experience preferred
People of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, intersex, trans and gender non-conforming people; women; and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. We also encourage applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual and cultural backgrounds.
Authorization to work in the US is required.
How to Apply
For immediate consideration, please submit your application, resume and cover letter by clicking on the link to apply below. Applications submitted without a resume and personalized cover letter will not be considered.