Overview of AJWS
American Jewish World Service (AJWS) is the leading Jewish organization working to fight poverty and pursue justice in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Caribbean. By supporting hundreds of social change organizations in 17 countries, we respond to the most pressing issues of our time—from disasters, genocide and hunger, to the persecution of women and minorities worldwide. With Jewish values and a global reach, AJWS is making a difference in millions of lives and bringing a more just and equitable world closer for all.
Overview of Team
The Development Division at AJWS is responsible for raising the revenue that supports AJWS’s grantmaking and advocacy. The Division includes the following departments: Institutional Giving, Major Gifts and Planned Giving, Development Operations and Donor Engagement. Members of the Division partner closely with the Marketing and Communications, Programs, Finance and Administration and People and Culture teams, as well as the Executive Office and Board of Trustees, instilling a culture of philanthropy across the organization. The Division is responsible for cultivating, stewarding and soliciting donors, building a deep connection and commitment to our work for our supporters.
The Development Associate is a vital member of the fast-paced, high-energy Development Division. The Development Associate provides crucial administrative support to the Development team to ensure outstanding stewardship for donors and prospects and efficient and effective operations for the Development team, with an emphasis on creating, editing, and coordinating the systems for generating written materials, including proposals, reports and donor touchpoints. The position will also be responsible for communicating with a small portfolio of donors. This position reports to the Associate Vice President for Development. This position is non-exempt.
Every team member of the Development Division contributes to achieving our annual fundraising goal.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Primary responsibility for coordinating writing and written materials for the Major Gifts and Planned Giving teams:
- Managing Proposal and Report production calendar including maintaining information in Salesforce– ensuring the timely production of proposals, reports and other written materials for major donors.
- Supporting the Associate Director of Planned Giving and the Global Circle Program in creating and editing written materials as needed.
- Preparing donor solicitation, stewardship and cultivation emails and letters.
- Utilizing wealth screening and other research tools, conducts basic and/or preliminary research on donors and prospective donors and prepares materials for meetings.
- Managing a small portfolio of major gifts donors.
Management of donor data for major donor and planned giving including lists for correspondence and events, including:
- Maintaining donor data in Salesforce; generating accurate and timely reports.
- Assist Development team members in maintaining accurate information in Salesforce.
- Coordinate and submit requests for event invitations and promotional materials (including printed collateral and digital media) via the Marketing and Communications Division.
- In collaboration with the Donor Engagement team, coordinate timelines, deadlines, outreach and vendor contracts.
- In collaboration with the Donor Engagement team, plan, organize and coordinate set-up of event materials, food and beverage catering, and any other supplies or equipment.
- Provide on-site staffing at events.
On an as-needed basis, the person in this role will provide administrative assistance to the Development Division.
At all times, the Development Associate shall provide work product that is complete and at a high degree of accuracy, requiring minimal edits.
- Strong writing and editing skills with the ability to adapt style, tone and content for different audiences and contexts;
- Bachelor’s Degree;
- Minimum of one year experience in an office environment, preferably in a nonprofit setting
- Thorough knowledge of and proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Excel, Powperpoint and Word;
- Superior time management and organizational skills;
- Ability to self-start, working independently as well as part of a team, on multiple complex projects and priorities;
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate and work effectively across different departments and with diverse stakeholders to accomplish common goals and problem solve;
- Previous experience with Salesforce or a similar CRM fundraising database and related reporting tools;
- Comfort learning and using a variety of online technologies and applications;
- Professional, enthusiastic, flexible attitude;
- Ability to work occasional nights and weekends for special events;
- Ability to travel domestically.
- Two years in a position where creating written collateral was a significant job responsibility;
- Experience writing reports and/or proposals for donors or other stakeholders;
- Strong interest in and commitment to global human rights;
- Previous NGO/nonprofit-sector experience;
- Familiarity with U.S. Jewish Community.
- Salary: $60,000*
*Any employee in this Career Level shall be subject to the $60,000 annual salary floor.
- Location: Remote – Contiguous US-Based
*This role is flexible in nature and can be performed from a home office in the contiguous United States.
- This role is full time (40 HRS), Non-Exempt
- This role is a Union position
Black, Indigenous and People of Color; Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Intersex, Trans and Gender non-conforming people; women; and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. We also encourage applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual and cultural backgrounds.
As an organization committed to promoting social justice around the world, it is essential that we incorporate a diverse, equitable and inclusive lens into all aspects of our work at AJWS. We encourage applicants with a global perspective and a commitment to values around diversity, equity, and inclusion to apply.
Authorization to work in the US is required.
How to Apply
For immediate consideration, apply below. Applications submitted without a resume and personalized cover letter will not be considered. We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with AJWS. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.