Overview of AJWS
American Jewish World Service (AJWS) is the leading Jewish organization working to fight poverty and pursue justice in the developing world. By supporting hundreds of social change organizations in 19 countries, we respond to the most pressing issues of our time—from disasters, genocide and hunger, to the persecution of women and minorities worldwide. With Jewish values and a global reach, AJWS is making a difference in millions of lives and bringing a more just and equitable world closer for all.
The Communications Associate will join a dynamic team of writers, editors and content producers who inspire AJWS’s supporters through marketing materials, blogs, publications, social media, videos and other stories of our work and impact. This is a junior role with growth potential that is critical in supporting the Content and Storytelling team by engaging with AJWS’s social media community, copyediting written materials, assisting with social media content creation and updating our digital content database. This position provides an excellent opportunity to make an impact while learning more about human rights work and communications functions within an organization.
- Act as a social media community manager by responding to comments and questions on AJWS’s social media channels (largely on Facebook and Instagram).
- Edit and proofread a wide variety of content produced by staff across the organization, including press releases, fundraising emails, blogs and publications of all kinds. Follow and implement the guidelines in AJWS’s style guide and serve as a “help desk” resource for staff inquiries about grammar, punctuation and writing style.
- Upload, tag and archive content to the AJWS Story Bank—a digital database of stories, photos and other content demonstrating our impact.
- Help update and manage a calendar of AJWS’s communications content.
- Help run reports and keep tabs on AJWS’s social media metrics.
- Assist with development of compelling social media content for AJWS’s key audiences.
- Participate in departmental and divisional meetings by sharing insight about improving AJWS’s content and its distribution.
- Bachelor’s degree, ideally with an emphasis on communications or marketing
- 1-2 years of related experience
- Exceptional writing skills, meticulous copy editing and proofreading ability and a passion for excellence in a final written product
- An understanding of social media platforms—especially Facebook, Twitter and Instagram—and experience successfully engaging online communities
- Adept at conveying complex ideas in clear, compelling, motivational language
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment with competing deadlines
- A strong interest in digital communications trends and best practices
- Experience with database management or data entry preferred
- Team player and collaborator
- Commitment to human rights and social justice, and enthusiasm for learning more about these issues
- Familiarity with progressive Jewish culture and organizational landscape a plus
Compensation and Benefits Information:
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience and the market;
- Paid Time Off: 15-21 Federal and religious holidays off each year in addition to generous vacation and sick days;
- Full health benefits coverage with minimal contribution by employees;
- 403(b): 4% company match (safe harbor);
- Flexible Spending Account and Commuter Benefits;
- Workplace flexibility and generous leave policy.
People of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, intersex, trans and gender non-conforming people; women; and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. We also encourage applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual, intellectual and cultural backgrounds.
Authorization to work in the US is required.
How to Apply:
For immediate consideration, click on the link to apply below.
Applications must be submitted with the following to be considered:
- Cover letter
- Three writing samples, preferably social media content and blog(s).