Overview of AJWS
American Jewish World Service (AJWS) is the leading Jewish organization working to pursue justice and fight poverty in the developing world. By supporting hundreds of social change organizations in 19 countries, we respond to the most pressing issues of our time—from disasters, genocide and hunger, to the persecution of women and minorities worldwide. With Jewish values and a global reach, AJWS is making a difference in millions of lives and bringing a more just and equitable world closer for all.
AJWS is seeking a dynamic and experienced development professional to lead AJWS’s major gifts fundraising in the Los Angeles regional office. Reporting to the Western Region’s executive director, the Associate Director is responsible for overseeing a portfolio of high-level individual donors and prospects across Southern California, while representing AJWS to external audiences. The Associate Director will work closely with the Western Region major gifts team and members of the board of trustees to expand and diversify the donor base and execute an enhanced major gifts program at AJWS, stewarding a pipeline of individual donors at the $10,000 level and higher.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage a portfolio of high-level individual donors and prospects;
- Develop clear short-term and long-range plans for the portfolio that are both realistic and challenging;
- Successfully identify prospects, funding opportunities, and strategies that will help achieve annual and longer-term development goals;
- Analyze fundraising results against projections and ensure timely and accurate reporting to internal and external constituencies;
- Speak and write articulately about American Jewish World Service, its mission, policies, culture, values, history, key stakeholders, programs, and finances;
- Stay abreast of philanthropic, economic, social, and community trends related to American Jewish World Service and share relevant information with colleagues;
- Establish trust, maintain strong relationships, and develop partnerships with all AJWS stakeholders;
- Support VP in select board and CEO fundraising assignments;
- Plan, coordinate and staff domestic trips to Western Region cities for CEO, WR Executive Director, and AJWS grantees;
- Manage support staff and budget of Los Angeles regional office; and
- Collaborate with divisional colleagues on events, steward activities, and database reports.
- Minimum of 7 years of successful major gifts experience or related experience within complex and dynamic mission-driven non-profit organizations;
- Bachelor’s degree is required; advanced degree and record of continuing professional development is preferred;
- Possess a clear track record as a successful frontline fundraiser securing major gifts from individuals and local foundations with face-to-face major gift solicitations;
- Demonstrated achievement identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding high-net-worth individuals;
- Understanding of fundraising for human rights or international causes;
- Significant experience maintaining strong relationships internally and externally;
- Proven ability to conceptualize and describe funding needs in a compelling way;
- Experience with planned giving and fundraising campaigns;
- Experience working effectively and respectfully with members of the senior leadership team, including the CEO as well as board members and other high-level donors;
- Knowledge of Salesforce, Raiser’s Edge or a similar database;
- Familiarity with local nonprofit and Jewish community, a plus; and
- Passion for and commitment to AJWS’s mission and values.
Compensation and Benefits Information:
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience and the market;
- Paid Time Off: 15-21 Federal and religious holidays off each year in addition to generous vacation and sick days;
- Full health benefits coverage with minimal contribution by employees;
- 403(b): 4% company match (safe harbor);
- Flexible Spending Account and Commuter Benefits;
- Workplace flexibility and generous leave policy.
People of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, intersex, trans and gender non-conforming people; women; and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. We also encourage applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual and cultural backgrounds.
Authorization to work in the US is required
How to Apply:
For immediate consideration, apply below. Please put your name in the title of both documents.
Applications submitted without a resume and personalized cover letter will not be considered.