Overview of AJWS
American Jewish World Service (AJWS) is the leading Jewish organization working to pursue justice and fight poverty in the developing world. By supporting hundreds of social change organizations in 19 countries, we respond to the most pressing issues of our time—from disasters, genocide and hunger, to the persecution of women and minorities worldwide. With Jewish values and a global reach, AJWS is making a difference in millions of lives and bringing a more just and equitable world closer for all.
American Jewish World Service (AJWS) is seeking an Accounts Payable Specialist to join a dynamic and fast paced finance department. Primary responsibilities of the Accounts Payable Specialist will include professional accounting and maintaining the centralized expenditure accounts of the organization. The successful candidate will be self-motivated and have the ability to work both independently as well as be an integral member of the finance team.
Primary responsibilities of the Accounts Payable Specialist will include but not be limited to:
- Review and process all invoices to ensure accurate and timely payments to vendors including petty cash;
- Review and manage Employee Corporate Credit Card and Travel Cash Advance Programs, ensure T&E expense reports that are submitted are in accordance with T&E policy and prepare T&E journal entries;
- Check figures, postings, and documents for correct entry, mathematical accuracy, proper approvals and proper codes;
- Prepare and complete month-end responsibilities including journal entries (i.e. accrued expenses, ACHs, wires);
- Reconcile and monitor vendor profiles and bring to the attention of the Accounting Manager any inconsistencies;
- Prepare annual 1099 and 1042 forms;
- Serve as finance liaison to other divisions; train staff on proper expense report preparation and submission through expense management system, and review all expenses charged for appropriate coding;
- Assist in the preparation of the monthly internal financial reports;
- Assist in annual independent audit by preparing audit work papers and account analyses;
- Perform other duties as necessary and assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field;
- Minimum 2 – 3 years accounting experience required;
- Non-profit and fund accounting experience a plus;
- Experience with financial software (preference for Abila formerly SAGE MIP or similar system);
- Experience with expenses management system (preference for Concur)
- Proficiency in MS Office with strengths in Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong organizational and analytical skills, with ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and work effectively with personnel at all levels;
- Ability to prioritize and work under deadlines.
People of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, intersex, trans and gender non-conforming people; women; and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. We also encourage applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual and cultural backgrounds.
Authorization to work in the US is required.
How to Apply:
For immediate consideration, apply below.
Applications submitted without a resume and personalized cover letter will not be considered.