This issue of AJWS Reports is dedicated to AJWS’s new campaign, Fighting Hunger from the Ground Up. The issue is full of information about why more than a billion people are living in hunger today, and what we can do about it. To learn more about the campaign and to read additional stories about grassroots organizations fighting hunger in their own communities, visit Fighting Hunger from the Ground Up online.
The Peruvian Amazon is the epicenter of an international battle for land rights. Foreign companies mining the rainforest for oil and minerals have caused widespread pollution that threatens the lives and livelihoods of local communities. The photographs in this slideshow, taken by Evan Abramson, depict Peruvian communities engaged in the struggle to defend their land.
AJWS is working with environmental rights organization Amazon Watch to raise awareness locally and internationally. Visit their website to contribute to letter-writing and petition campaigns and to read current news about the struggle.
This article, by AJWS Latin America consultant Daniel Moss, describes indigenous communities’ efforts to defend their land and agriculture from foreign development.
AJWS grantee ROSE is working to make sure that Indian coastal communities are prepared next time disaster strikes. Watch ROSE’s short film about its tsunami-rescue training for residents of at-risk coastal regions. On screen, community members learn survival and rescue tactics and talk about their hope that preparing for natural disasters will save lives in the future.
This video (in Spanish) memorializes Gustavo Marcelo Rivera, an environmental rights and democracy activist and director of AJWS grantee ASIC, who was murdered in June 2009. AJWS strongly condemns this killing of a colleague and social activist, and urges the Salvadoran authorities to fully investigate the case and bring the perpetrators of the crime to justice.
- Every six seconds a child dies because of hunger-related causes. “The State of Food Security in the World,” FAO, 2004: http://www.fao.org/docrep/007/y5650e/y5650e00.htm.
- World Food Programme, http://www.wfp.org/countries/haiti.
- Grassroots International, http://www.grassrootsonline.org/where-we-work/haiti.
- International Center for Research on Women.
- International Fund for Agricultural Development. http://www.ifad.org/gender/pub/sourcebook/flyer.pdf.
- International Food and Policy Research Institute. http://www.ifpri.org/2020/BRIEFS/NUMBER17.HTM