Careers at AJWS
Senior Press Officer (New York, NY)
The Senior Press Officer is the media relations point person for AJWS. This person is responsible for contributing to and implementing media relations strategies in conjunction with the VP for Communications and outside media relations contractors. The Senior Press Officer will manage all aspects of AJWS’s media relations operation. He/she will generate strategically valuable media coverage of AJWS, its work and that of its grantees, develop close working relationships with journalists, maintain lists of contacts in the media, and draft and edit carefully crafted press releases, statements and briefing materials. The Senior Press Officer will be an enterprising, creative self-starter with significant media relations experience, who can work with a wide array of journalists, spanning those from major news organizations to others working for local Jewish community newspapers. The ideal candidate has a track record of building relationships with journalists and relevant media outlets and has experience in generating strategically significant coverage of previous employers and clients, especially nonprofit organizations, foundations, advocacy and political campaigns, and elected officials. The Senior Press Officer will possess outstanding editorial skills and understand how to work effectively with writers, reporters, producers, and others, as well as with a creative and diverse staff in a global organization. He/she should have excellent interpersonal skills.
- Enrich and implement AJWS’s media relations strategies;
- Work collaboratively with AJWS’s outside media relations contractors;
- Oversee the generation and success of all earned media;
- Pitch reporters, editorial board writers, columnists, producers, and bookers;
- Build relationships of trust and mutual respect with reporters, producers, and partners;
- Maximize promotion of AJWS programs and news by identifying newsworthy trends and angles;
- Create and produce high-quality press materials for effective communication with news media;
- Develop systems for measuring the effectiveness of the media relations effort;
- Regularly update AJWS staff on media relations activities;
- Manage clipping services, including archiving clips, and reproduces clips as needed for press kit and outreach purposes;
- Manage press database, including tracking press coverage by reporter and news outlet, updating database with new contact information and researching new media niches;
- Assign work to intern, who assembles daily media digest and carries out other media relations functions; and
- Recruit and manage a communications intern, who will assist with clippings and press database.
- Minimum of five years of experience in media relations;
- B.A. and/or Master’s degree;
- Must be a major consumer of relevant news with a ceaseless appetite for news coverage and information about news organizations;
- Keen understanding of what constitutes a good news story and what reporters and producers need to create a story of their own;
- A love of talking to reporters and producers, building relationships, and pitching stories;
- Excellent writing, editing, proofreading and verbal and written communication skills;
- Successful track record of pitching stories to media and generating strategic coverage of individuals, issues, organizations, and campaigns;
- Experience organizing press conferences, calls, webinars and major events;
- Contacts within mainstream national press;
- Experience with online media management and evaluation tools a plus;
- Knowledge of global human rights and development issues and U.S. politics and advocacy preferred;
- Prior experience in a fast-paced, domestic or global advocacy organization;
- Ability to meet deadlines, work unusual hours, often within very tight timeframes;
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills;
- Highly professional demeanor;
- Able to work proactively with focus, making and carrying out recommendations;
- Strong interpersonal skills and judgment;
- Capable of working well with a variety of personalities and leadership styles; and
- Demonstrated strong leadership capabilities.
How to Apply
- Apply by email to email@example.com and indicate “Senior Press Officer” in subject line;
- Please send your résumé and cover letter with a summary of your interest and qualifications for this position;
- No phone calls please; and
- We will only respond to candidates in whom we have an interest.
We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with AJWS. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
AJWS is an equal opportunity employer and provides competitive salaries and benefits.
Tell Congress to Pass IVAWA
Join AJWS in advocating for the passage of the International Violence Against Women Act, which supports innovative, cost-effective programs that have been shown to decrease violence against women and girls.