Careers at AJWS
Senior Development Officer (San Francisco, CA)
Overview of AJWS
Inspired by the Jewish commitment to justice, American Jewish World Service (AJWS) works to realize human rights and end poverty in the developing world. AJWS pursues lasting change by supporting grassroots and global human rights organizations in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean and by mobilizing supporters in the U.S. to advocate for global justice. Working together, the AJWS community strives to build a more just and equitable world.
Overview of Department
Lead by the Executive Director, AJWS’s San Francisco office (a team of six) is responsible for overseeing and implementing the vision of AJWS in the San Francisco Bay Area. Work includes revenue generation through major gifts, raising community awareness, increasing brand recognition through special events and targeted communications, and building Jewish community relations with organizations and key opinion leaders to achieve lasting policy change.
Reporting to the Executive Director, San Francisco and Western Region, the primary responsibility of the Senior Development Officer is to grow the AJWS San Francisco Bay Area donor base with new minimum $5,000+ gifts from high net worth individuals and family foundations while deepening relationships with current major donors and family foundations within the San Francisco Bay Area. As a member of a fast paced, high energy regional team, the Senior Development Officer will work closely with the San Francisco team and liaise with key constituents and board members to help achieve key organizational outcomes for the office.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop clear short-term goals and long-range strategy for fundraising in the San Francisco Bay Area which are both realistic and challenging; identify and cultivate a portfolio of donors capable of giving $25K and above
- Collaborate with all AJWS divisions and stakeholders to achieve revenue goals and conduct monthly analysis and reporting of goals against projections to review with Executive Director
- Steward and solicit a portfolio of $10,000+ individuals and family foundation donors who annually contribute to AJWS in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Identify, recruit and manage a pipeline of prospects, successfully converting them into long-term AJWS donors
- Conduct prospect research on current and prospective donors utilizing all available technologies and in concert with Development Team in the New York office
- Increase the visibility of AJWS in the local Jewish community by representing the organization at select community events on weekends and evenings
- Plan and execute special events for AJWS’s $2,500+ donors and prospects
- Support the President of AJWS (Ruth Messinger) in arranging meetings with individual donors and cultivation events that take place throughout the region; staff meetings and conduct all follow up activities
- Track fundraising trends and data both internal and external to AJWS
- Establish trust, maintain strong relationships and develop partnerships with board members and donors, many of whom are high-net-worth individuals
- Stay abreast of philanthropic, economic, social, and community trends related to American Jewish World Service
- Manage any administrative tasks necessary for personal portfolio management
- Occasional travel to other Western Region cities for donor cultivation activities and to New York (location of headquarter office). In addition, there may be international travel opportunities to support donors participating on Study Tours to learn about our grantees.
- B.A. required and advanced degree in a related field, preferred
- At least 7 years of experience in development with a proven track record in successful major gift fundraising, specifically with face-to-face solicitations, and understanding of effective strategies for organizational growth
- Experience with face-to-face major gift solicitations and proven track-record of closing major gifts (from $10,000-$100,000)
- Ability to clearly articulate AJWS’s mission, culture, values, programs, financials and history to key stakeholders
- Prospect Research and Raisers Edge knowledge required
- Display a strong sense of sophistication and a collaborative, long-term and strategic approach to fundraising
- Demonstrated knowledge of and familiarity with Jewish philanthropic and social justice communities and key stakeholders in the San Francisco Bay Area
- Prior success developing and implementing innovative and creative fundraising strategies, including event planning experience
- Experience working effectively and respectfully with members of the senior leadership team, including the President as well as board members and other high-level volunteers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including experience public speaking on behalf of an organization
- Exceptional verbal, written and proofreading skills
- Organized, detail-oriented and self-motivated with the ability to work well independently as well as part of a team
- Flexible work style and an ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends as required. Driving license essential.
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally as necessary.
- Commitment and passion for the AJWS mission
How to Apply:
For immediate consideration, please forward your resume and cover letter to email@example.com and indicate your name and "Senior Development Officer, San Francisco" in the subject line. Applications submitted without a personalized cover letter will not be considered.
We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with AJWS. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
AJWS is an equal opportunity employer and provides competitive salaries and benefits.
Tell Congress to Pass IVAWA
Join AJWS in advocating for the passage of the International Violence Against Women Act, which supports innovative, cost-effective programs that have been shown to decrease violence against women and girls.