Careers at AJWS
Senior Development Officer (New York, NY)
AJWS has an exciting opportunity for a talented and creative fundraising professional with individual and/or major giving experience to increase giving of current individual donors contributing $2,500+, identify, cultivate and solicit high net worth prospects, and broaden AJWS’s base of support in order to achieve annual fundraising targets. Reporting to the Director of Major Gifts, the Senior Development Officer requires the ability to shift gears between the big picture and more detail oriented activities, while engaging internal and external stakeholders of various giving capacities.
- Design and implement strategies to broaden the cultivation of major donors with particular emphasis on generating larger gifts;
- Collaborate with all AJWS divisions and stakeholders to successfully achieve annual development revenue goals through individual and team initiatives;
- Steward and solicit a portfolio of major donors who contribute $2,500+ annually;
- Strengthen existing relationships with current major donors, while also increasing the donor base through acquisition of new donors;
- Manage pipeline of prospects, successfully converting them into long-term AJWS donors;
- Conduct limited prospect research;
- Partner with Special Events coordinator to plan and execute special events for AJWS’s $2,500+ donors and prospects;
- Plan, coordinate and staff fundraising meetings for president, senior staff, and volunteer leadership.
- Establish trust, maintain strong relationships and develop partnerships with board members and donors;
- Conduct regular analysis and reporting of revenue goals against projections;
- Speak and write articulately about American Jewish World Service, its mission, policies, culture, values, history, key stakeholders, programs, and finances; and
- Stay abreast of philanthropic, economic, social, and community trends related to American Jewish World Service.
- Minimum of 5 years of diverse fundraising experience with a focus on major gifts or related experience within complex and dynamic organizations;
- Display a strong sense of sophistication and a collaborative, strategic approach to fundraising;
- Experience with face-to-face major gift solicitations and proven success securing major gifts;
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; advanced degree and record of continuing professional development preferred;
- Prior success developing and implementing innovative and creative fundraising strategies, including event planning experience;
- Proven ability to conceptualize and describe funding needs in a way that is compelling and comprehensive to potential donors;
- Demonstrated achievement identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding high-wealth donors;
- Experience working effectively and respectfully with members of the senior leadership team, including the President as well as board members and other high-level volunteers;
- Ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and work independently in a fast-paced environment, including evenings and weekends, when required;
- Strong commitment to the mission and vision of AJWS with the ability to serve as a compelling ambassador for the organization; and
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally as necessary.
How to Apply
For immediate consideration, please forward your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate your name and "Senior Development Officer" in the subject line. Applications submitted without a personalized cover letter will not be considered. We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with AJWS.
We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with AJWS. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
AJWS is an equal opportunity employer and provides competitive salaries and benefits.
Tell Congress to Pass IVAWA
Join AJWS in advocating for the passage of the International Violence Against Women Act, which supports innovative, cost-effective programs that have been shown to decrease violence against women and girls.