Careers at AJWS
Development Officer (New York, NY)
American Jewish World Service (AJWS) has an exciting opportunity for an energetic, organized and motivated individual to be a part of the major gifts team and further AJWS’s development goals. The Development Officer will be charged with increasing giving levels of current individual donors, work with high net worth prospects and support the work of the Director of Major Gifts and Senior Development officer. This individual will also provide support to the AJWS board of trustees.
The ideal candidate for this position will be detail oriented, able to prioritize workload and multi-task. The individual must also demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written, and is expected to maintain confidentiality and exhibit discretion and professionalism in all aspects of the work.
- Successfully achieve annual development goals through individual and team initiatives;
- Steward and solicit a portfolio of donors annually;
- Strengthen existing relationships with current major donors, while also increasing the donor base through acquisition of new donors;
- Work with the Director of Major Gifts and Senior Development Officer as a liaison between the board and staff, providing administrative support to the board chair and board leadership;
- Coordinate strategies for engaging board members and prospects;
- Draft and edit written materials to the Board including stewardship, cultivation and solicitation letters in conjunction with the development team;
- Provide administrative support to the board chair including scheduling appointments and drafting correspondence;
- Manage pipeline of prospects, successfully converting them into long-term AJWS donors;
- Conduct limited prospect research;
- Plan and execute special events for AJWS’s donors and prospects;
- Establish trust, maintain strong relationships and develop partnerships with board members and donors, many of whom are high-net-worth individuals;
- Speak and write articulately about American Jewish World Service;
- Stay abreast of philanthropic, economic, social, and community trends related to American Jewish World Service;
- Manage administrative tasks necessary for portfolio management;
- Collaborate with all AJWS divisions and stakeholders to achieve revenue goals.
- Minimum 2 years of successful development experience or related experience within complex and dynamic organizations;
- Display a strong sense of sophistication and a collaborative, strategic approach to fundraising;
- Experience with major gift solicitations;
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; advanced degree and record of continuing professional development preferred;
- Diversity of development experience and an understanding of fundraising for international causes;
- Prior success developing and implementing innovative and creative fundraising strategies, including event planning experience;
- Diverse fundraising background with demonstrated success securing individual gifts;
- Experience working effectively and respectfully with members of the senior leadership team, including the President as well as board members and other high-level volunteers.
How to Apply
For immediate consideration, please forward your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate your name and “Development Officer" in the subject line. Applications submitted without a personalized cover letter will not be considered.
We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with AJWS. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
AJWS is an equal opportunity employer and provides competitive salaries and benefits.
Tell Congress to Pass IVAWA
Join AJWS in advocating for the passage of the International Violence Against Women Act, which supports innovative, cost-effective programs that have been shown to decrease violence against women and girls.