Thailand Study Tour
Priority will be given to people who apply before August 30.
Join AJWS President Ruth Messinger and special scholar-in-residence, Rabbi David Wolpe—who Newsweek Magazine recently acclaimed as “the most influential Rabbi in America”—on an unforgettable trip to Thailand.
Together, we will see tikkun olam in action, beginning with the vibrant activist community of urban Bangkok and then journeying south to the famed islands along Thailand’s coast. In one extraordinary week, we’ll meet grassroots groups that are fighting to protect the region’s natural beauty and precious resources, talk to inspirational LGBTI activists working to prevent violence and discrimination, and visit fishing communities fighting to maintain their traditional ways of life amidst their country’s race to development.
Throughout our time in Thailand, we will engage in dialogue with local leaders and intellectuals who will offer insights into the unique challenges of securing human rights in this complex country and return home inspired to support their work for a more just and equitable world.
“It was my privilege to see the world through the lens of AJWS. This trip was one of my most extraordinary life experiences!”
—Barbara Horowitz (India 2012 )
Watch a personal message from Rabbi David Wolpe:
Ruth Messinger in conversation with Rabbi Wolpe on the importance of bringing international human rights issues closer to home:
- Meet with AJWS grantees like Andaman Resource Restoration (ARR), who are striving to conserve Phuket’s idyllic beaches and forests by educating community members on how to maintain the ecological health of the waterfront and forest.
- Visit historic sites including the Grand Palace and Wat Pho (the original home of Thai massage) on our tour of Bangkok, one of Asia’s most exhilarating cities.
- Hear about the realities of life as a refugee and migrant worker during an intimate dialogue with the women activists of AJWS grantee EMPOWER, a community organization providing education and counseling services to sex workers.
- Join our optional extension to Cambodia and discover the famed ruined city of Angkor Wat, one of the ancient wonders of the world.
- Contact us for the full trip itinerary »
- Priority will be given to people who apply before August 30.
- Trip Cost (excluding international airfare)
- Dates: October 6 – 13, 2013*
- Cost: $4,850 based on double occupancy ($680 single supplement)
- Optional Extension to Cambodia and Angkor Wat
- Dates: October 13 - 16, 2013*
- Cost: $1,265 based on double occupancy ($700 single supplement)
- *Dates do not include travel and may alter slightly. Preference is given to first-time travelers.