Women of Peace: Senegal Study Tour
This study tour has passed. You can see a list of our upcoming tours in the menu on the right.
Join AJWS President Ruth Messinger for a once-in-a-lifetime trip to the dazzling country of Senegal.
With a focus on the powerful roles being played by women in Senegal, we will see tikkun olam in action and witness first-hand the remarkable changes women are bringing to the country. Over the course of one inspirational week, we will journey from the oceanfront capital city of Dakar to the tropics of Zigunichor to meet groundbreaking AJWS grantees advancing the health and human rights of women, like Tostan, an organization that over the past 20 years has successfully encouraged more than 6,000 villages to abandon the practice of female genital cutting. As our journey takes us south to the Casamance region, we will learn about the rift that has divided the people of this area for decades and meet local women who are at the forefront of promoting peace and reconciliation, empowering each other to become farmers and entrepreneurs and bringing about a grassroots economic revival.
Against a backdrop of picturesque beaches, quaint architecture, bustling markets and soaring mosques we will witness the impact of women activists working to bring about a peaceful and more just future.
“It was my privilege to see the world through the lens of AJWS. This trip was one of my most extraordinary life experiences!”
—Barbara Horowitz (India 2012)
- Engage in intimate dialogue with internationally recognized activist, pioneer, and Tostan founder, Molly Melching. (Read her new book, endorsed by Hillary Clinton, here.)
- Meet inspirational women working for peace in their communities and supporting the economic needs of women and youth, such as AJWS grantee USOFORAL, which was recently awarded the WWSF Prize for Women’s Creativity in Rural Life.
- Tour historic sites such as Dakar’s Goree Island, a former slave trading port that now stands as a museum and cultural center.
- Contact us for the full trip itinerary »
- Trip Cost (excluding international airfare)
- Dates: February 16 to 23, 2014*
- Cost: $4,900 based on double occupancy (single supplement $925)
- *Dates do not include travel and may alter slightly.