Nicaragua Study Tour
This study tour has passed. You can see a list of our upcoming tours in the menu on the right.
Join American Jewish World Service and scholar-in-residence, Rabbi David Stern of Dallas’s Temple Emau-El, on an unforgettable trip to Nicaragua. Together, we will encounter a country whose natural beauty mingles with its turbulent revolutionary past and the deep economic disparities of its present. As we travel from the colonial capital of Managua to the forested hills of Matagalpa, we will meet AJWS grantees working to empower communities whose rights were eclipsed by decades of authoritarian rule and conflict. These inspiring activists are building Nicaragua’s civil society from the ground up, demanding a future of peace and equality. Throughout the journey, we will engage in dialogue with local leaders and intellectuals, who will offer insight into the unique challenge of securing human rights in this complex land.
“Not only did…AJWS expose us to the cruel aftermath of war, but the wonder and beauty of the rebirth and hope of a nation. Thanks to you, Ruth, the AWJS team and each of my fellow travel companions for making this a profound experience that I will carry with me.”
—Joan Kuriansky, Liberia 2012
- Meet with AJWS grantees like Asociacion de Mujeres Emprendedoras de Waslala (AMEWAS) who are training young women to take a stand against domestic violence.
- Visit Old León and tour its famous Cathedral of the Assumption — the largest cathedral in Latin America and recently named a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Take a day trip to Masaya Volcano National Park, to explore Nicaragua’s extraordinary active volcanoes.
- Contact us for the full trip itinerary »
- Trip Cost (excluding international airfare)
- Dates: June 16 to June 21, 2013*
- Cost:$2,600 (Single supplement $300)
- *Dates do not include travel and may alter slightly. Preference is given to first-time travelers.