Kenya Study Tour
This study tour has passed. You can see a list of our upcoming tours in the menu on the right.
Join American Jewish World Service and Ruth Messinger for an unforgettable week in this land of spectacular beauty and complex challenges. We will journey throughout Kenya, delving deeply into its history and culture and encountering inspirational activists effecting social change. In Nairobi, we will meet women working to stop gender-based violence and achieve equality. In the historic port town of Mombasa, we will speak with local leaders who are championing the rights of LGBTI people. Completing our adventure in the picturesque seaside town of Malindi, we will learn from land rights activists working to prevent exploitation of Kenya’s precious natural resources. This trip will illuminate the amazing strides AJWS’s grantees are making to overcome poverty and oppression and create a brighter future.
“We didn’t know what we were in for, and our expectations were exceeded beyond our wildest dreams. Thanks to you all for making this trip so meaningful and special.”
—Sandy Abramson (India 2012 )
- Meet with AJWS grantee Pema Kenya, an innovative LGBTI rights group that trains police and law enforcement officials to prevent violence against LGBTI people.
- Visit the Tamimi Giraffe Centre in Nairobi to stroll alongside majestic wildlife like giraffes, elephants, birds and more. The conservation center is a breeding ground for endangered species.
- Listen to community members from the Malindi Human Rights Forum share stories of their battle to regain their ancestral land.
- Explore your wild side on our optional safari extension to the Masai Mara Game Reserve. This 1,510 sq. kilometer park creates an eco-system that supports countless bird and mammal species.
- Contact us for the full trip itinerary »
- Trip Cost (excluding international airfare)
- Dates: February 3 to 10, 2013*
- Cost: $5,200 per person double occupancy, single supplement $970
- Optional post-tour safari to Masai Mara Game Reserve
- Dates: February 10 to 13, 2013*
- Cost: $2,700 per person double occupancy, single supplement $1,645
- *Dates do not include travel and may alter slightly. Preference is given to first-time travelers.