India Study Tour
This study tour has passed. You can see a list of our upcoming tours in the menu on the right.
Take an unforgettable journey to the land of color and spice to explore the complex human rights challenges facing India today. From the vibrant streets of urban Mumbai and Kolkata to the rural villages of Pune, we will meet activists working to end violence against women and empower India’s poorest residents to access the land and resources they depend on for survival. From dialogue with local leaders to excursions to the country’s most treasured cultural attractions, we will examine the roots of inequality in modern India and learn how we can support innovative movements for change.
- Meet inspirational women who stand up to injustice, including our partners at Awaaz-e-Niswaan, who empower Muslim women to defend their rights in many settings, from their families to national courts. In the wake of the shocking Delhi rape case, these women led marches calling for changes to India’s sexual violence laws.
- Engage with courageous activists at Sahbhagi Shikshan Kendra, an organization that fights prejudice against India’s Dalit—“untouchable” lower caste—community. This NGO has helped hundreds of Dalits overcome the government discrimination that’s barred them from getting jobs.
- Tour historic landmarks, including the Taj Mahal—a World Heritage site known as the most beautiful building in the world and that Rudyard Kipling once described as “the embodiment of all things pure.”
- Trip Cost (excluding international airfare)
- Dates: November 2-9, 2014*
- Cost: $5,300 per person double occupancy ($1,115 single supplement)
- Optional Extension to India's Golden Triangle (Delhi, Agra and Jaipur)
- Dates: November 9-13, 2014*
- Cost: $2,643 per person double occupancy ($1,725 single supplement)
- *Dates do not include international travel and may alter slightly.